WWII British supplied helmet nets

OD MAN

Did the US use British supplied helmet nets? If so is there any photos to prove it? I cant find anything about this subject. :think:

en4uf.jpg

Did the US use British supplied helmet nets? If so is there any photos to prove it? I cant find anything about this subject. :think:

en4uf.jpg

Yes, they did...in quite large numbers.

Sabrejet.

These were VERY common among US soldiers in Normandy. Attached is a photo of soldiers of the 47th Infantry with these nets. I have tons of photo evidence of these nets in use. There's absolutely no question as to whether these were used in large numbers by US troops.

post-7472-1264372530.jpg

British nets aren't particularly easy to get onto a helmet. They do fit, but it's quite a pain to get everything worked out.

True, the Brit nets were hard to put on but, actually fit very well. Soldiers would soak them in hot water and then stretch them onto the helmet. Since these were cotton, they stretched very easily when wet and for the same cotton reasons, shrunk up nice onto the helmet when it dried. Easily 50% or more of the nets used by U.S. soldiers were British made.

Cool topic-can you smart folks give a quick primer on how to spot the difference between US and British made nets?

thanks,

Capa

Not positive, but I think the only US issue net was the m-1944 net late WWII. Otherwise they just used vehicle netting, or made there own.

OD Man,

Is there a general difference in the size of the net squares? I have also seen burlap used-I take it that's one of the methods you mean.

capa

Hello,

There is also a lot of confusion between the British made "Medium" type nets as worn in Normandy and the "US made Medium nets" as seen in North Africa, Sicily and Southern Italy. One tends to call them all "British made". Were all Medium nets in Normandy British made ?

Hello,

There is also a lot of confusion between the British made "Medium" type nets as worn in Normandy and the "US made Medium nets" as seen in North Africa, Sicily and Southern Italy. One tends to call them all "British made". Were all Medium nets in Normandy British made ?

Hello, can you tell me more about these US made medium nets? I thought their werent any issue nets other than what I said above.

OD Man,

Is there a general difference in the size of the net squares? I have also seen burlap used-I take it that's one of the methods you mean.

capa

The hand made nets, like in this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=helmet,and,net all have the same basic size holes. Vehicle netting is a little smaller. Obviously there are a number of variations of hand made netting and camo you can find. Other then that they either used foreign netting or late in WWII the M-1944 netting.

Hi OD Man,

Here is a brit net that has been on this helmet since i bought it in the sixties, it is a half inch

net. There was a lot of helmets being sold like this back then, The net is now very fragile

so i doesnt come off very often.

Dave.

post-7848-1264788904.jpg

Does anyone have photos of these two-tone nets being worn by US troops? I keep hearing they were supplied to the US from Canada, but the only pics I have found of these being worn were by Canadians wearing US gear. Kiska and FSSF troops.

post-1940-1264790994.jpg

I've got six of these tight brit nets! I love them, though tough to cover the US M1. I also have an original khaki net over the 83rd vet seen below in my signature.

Cheers,

Mike

I've got six of these tight brit nets! I love them, though tough to cover the US M1. I also have an original khaki net over the 83rd vet seen below in my signature.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, do you have the thin or thick type?

Following are a couple of shots of the only small mesh netted helmet I've ever turned up straight "out of the brush", at a flea market back in about 1981. I can't say for sure the origin of the net. I will say that the one and only time I ever removed the liner was right after I got it, when I was just dying to know whether the liner was also marked like the pot (it isn't) - I was a younger man then, more up to the no-holds-barred struggle it was to seperate the two, and again the struggle to get it back together again :thumbdown: I didn't remove the net from the pot, or even change the folds, but I wish I had that wrestling match on video :lol: !!

Best regards,

Paul

post-6057-1264832256.jpg

• 5 years later...
eaglerunner88

Hello,

I'm looking for confirmation if this is an example of a Brit net and if this type would have been seen on G.I. helmets during the Normandy invasion?

Thanks

post-69583-0-07506200-1432967875.jpg

post-69583-0-51077100-1432967883.jpg

coolhandluke

Hello,

I'm looking for confirmation if this is an example of a Brit net and if this type would have been seen on G.I. helmets during the Normandy invasion?

Thanks

IMHO that piece looks to be a modern reproduction of a British net. Originals will be impregnated with mildew inhibitor and do not have loose fibers. The size of the holes also looks a little larger than the original British nets tend to be...even when stretched.

• 9 months later...