WW1 Lafayette Flying Corps Uniform/Document Group

Belleauwood

teufelhunde.ret

OMG - by far and away the finest WW1 aviator grouping posted here to date. I'm pleased to see it in your safekeeping! Please add more as time permits! s/f Darrell

Dennis,

I am very happy you have posted this extensive group. I am looking forward to seeing more of the items and if possible how you decided to display the items.

Cheers

John

P.S. Thanks for the close-up photos! I love the bullion on the uniform!!

Wow... I am simply stunned. Certainly one of the most historically significant intact groupings in existance!

Thanks for sharing, and I hope to see more. Very inspirational from a collector's POV.

Mike

Very nice grouping. Was that Eddie Richenbackers signature. I have his signature on a one dollar bill from WWII. But mine is nothing close to yours two thumbs up.

Many thanks for the great comments. I'm honored. But credit needs to be given where it's due. This group was kept entirely intact and remarkably preserved by the individual that had it before me. Imagine the temptations to sell the duplicates that are in this archive. He is a man to be trusted and one that I have tremendous respect for. To him, it's not about the money. He allowed me to purchase this group for multiple thousands less the he had been offered years ago because he knew it would be well cared for and that I would not sell some the items that would never be missed. Thank you Steve.

DJ

Very nice grouping. Was that Eddie Richenbackers signature. I have his signature on a one dollar bill from WWII. But mine is nothing close to yours two thumbs up.

[/quote

Indeed it is!

Croix de Guerre

This is without a doubt, the most intact, historically significant, WWI era aviation group known to exist. There may be others out there but they are not in the public forum. I would be willing to bet that the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum would be hard pressed to match this. This is a national treasure and you are fortunate beyond description to be able to do your part in its preservation.

post-3422-1264370439.jpg

Unpublished photo of Walter

post-3422-1264370585.jpg

Rheno by his Neuport - Note his personal insignia of the American Shield

post-3422-1264370713.jpg

This was his first ship, a Neuport

I can not imagine a more complete group still in existence! Kudos to you, the previous owner and the veteran's family for preserving this! You can reread and reread this thread and see something new each time. Thank you for posting this incredible grouping!

Simply amazing. It serves as a reminder that Americans, throughout history, have put their lives on the line to defend liberty and our friends. I am reminded of the Americans who served in the Lincoln Brigade during the Spanish Civil War.

Anyway, as a museum (temporarily laid off) professional, the word STEWARD comes to mind and I congratulate you on your role as steward of this collection.

Cheers,

Capa

post-3422-1264377233.jpg

This photo was taken at Oak Bluffs, MA when Walter was repatriated and buried in Vineyard Haven.

The photo on the casket is the one at the beginning of this post. Notice the '03's and the web belt leaning against the casket.

What a tribute !

HOLY SCHMOKES! Makes me want to sell everything and start collecting WW 1 aviator groups. But why when the Holy Grail of them is posted here. Very nice doesn't quite say it very well does it?

WOW! :jeal0001:

Absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing

Boisbelleau

I have tried contacting you via the forum messenger, but it seems your mail box is full. Could you please contact me? Thanks. Therry

Dennis-

I'm beyond words right now. Utterly speechless....

I have enough composure to say "Thanks" for posting this truly historic grouping. It goes without saying that I'll be looking forward to hopefully more images soon...

-Chuck