WW1 Lafayette Flying Corps Uniform/Document Group

Belleauwood

post-3422-1316553108.jpg

post-3422-1316553117.jpg

This VM is somewhat of an Enigma. Rheno would have been entitled to a VM like this due to the fact that he received his commission to the US Air Service while on an extended leave in the US. It would be brief, as he was disgusted with the transfer to the Air Service, and died days later in France on his way back to the French Squadrons. He died of influenza.

There were several of his medals on display in a small museum on Martha's Vineyard for several years. The planchet could have been reversed on the broach to better explain the medal. The back side of the ribbon still retains it's vibrant colors. Just a guess on my part.

A current forum member thought that the Rheno display need a little something extra and was kind enough to offer this great flag / banner to me a while back. Got it back this A.M. from the framer -

There has been several "fakes" of this sanctioned reproduction that have come from Pakistan and I have owned one from several years ago. They are however of much poorer quality and markedly smaller. At any rate, this is a killer addition to the Rheno display and a much appreciated addition.

DJ

post-3422-1316703983.jpg

House of Stuart

Ya'll would have crapped the bed at the Thomas G. Cassidy grouping that I owned several years ago! The photo album was full of original pics of all the Escadrille members, seperate AND together as a group. DSC doc, CDG doc, assorted medals and a pile of original paperwork. It went on forever!

Croix de Guerre
Ya'll would have crapped the bed at the Thomas G. Cassidy grouping that I owned several years ago! The photo album was full of original pics of all the Escadrille members, seperate AND together as a group. DSC doc, CDG doc, assorted medals and a pile of original paperwork. It went on forever!

:think: Ok,,Well besides "crapping my bed",,,I just wanted to thank Dennis for again taking the time to share this amazing group with us. I'd love to see all this in a complete volume,,man you got to do a book on Rheno!

PS What are the buttons in that killer cigarette box? Could you take some close-up shots of the markings on the bullets? Maybe some of the members of the forum can tell if they are German or not. I'd bet they are souvenirs of close calls he had.

Dennis,

Thank you for your kind words. Ownership of this group was always a responsibility to me, I know I passed the torch to the right hands. I'm a bit surprised at the restraint you've shown in posting it. Besides the combat flown uniform with the Folies Bergere tickets in the cuff, I always thought the collection of captioned photos and flight log were highlights. I must say I'm impressed with your display, I'll have to come down and see it sometime.

Yes, I have crapped my pants, but it took a bit more than some documents and pics to cause it.

Steve

• 3 years later...

attachicon.gifIMG_1021.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1051.jpg

Extremely rare diploma for the Harmon Award

Notice the signatures on the lower Lt. Hand corner of the document.

Very significant members of this unique group aviators

I found this impressive Rheno collection as I was researching Clifford B. Harmon.

I am writing a book about the Harmon Trophy and would be interested in to get some images of the Rheno Harmon diploma and medal.

I would be glad if you could send me a private message.

Regards,

Harri

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Patchcollector

Wow..I'm trying to find a word to describe this grouping that has'nt already been used...

How about...

Fantabulous