WW1 Lafayette Flying Corps Uniform/Document Group

Belleauwood

I a previous photo of a letter from the LFE Foundation there was a question that about Walter making the rank of Lt. It is my belief that Walter Rheno did receive his commission from the American Air Service around the time of his death. I'm sure I have the verification somewhere in these archives. The following aluminum seal straps were on Rheno's casket when he was repatriated from France. They were removed and retained by the family. As you can see, they refer to " Lt." Rheno.

post-3422-1265577944.jpg

post-3422-1265577957.jpg

The is his Mother's Son-in Service" flag. Note the addition if the Gold Star.

post-3422-1265578189.jpg

This is the banner that draped Rheno's empty casket in the Tomb of the Lafayette Memorial. It remained on his casket for 6 months

after the dedication on July 4, 1928. I did not really understand what this was when I received the group, but there was a letter from the

Memorial Foundation to his mother explaining that it had been draped over his casket and they thought that she would appreciate having

it after the ribbons were removed from the caskets. Almost every item in this grouping is explained to the researcher (me) if you look long enough.

post-3422-1265578202.jpg

Another letter to Winthrop Rheno in 1928 asking for information about Walter for the Memorial.

This ties to the Bio. of Walters service in a previous image.

post-3422-1265579041.jpg

• 1 year later...
Kurt Barickman

Good grief Dennis :w00t: How did I miss this the first time. Wow, even though I don't collect this vintage of items it does not mean that I don't appreciate the historical significance. Where do you go from here? Unless it is Mark's Lost Battalion DSC groupings :think:

Thanks for posting,

Kurt Barickman

Dennis, When you think of the odds that a group like this would remain intact for almot 100 years, and then end up in the hands of a true historian and collector like yourself, it boggles the mind. I mean everything is there!!! Thanks very much for posting this wonderful collection and letting us share it.

Mark

I never get tired of looking at this thread... the uniform, the photos, the paperwork, sidearm, all of it, truly outstanding. What a treat. Thank you for posting!

Beau

• 2 weeks later...
BigJohn#3RD

Dennis,

This is a truly outstanding group with so much detail and information it is an extreme pleasure that you continue to share more detail about it and the warrior of the sky's who gave his all to fight Tierney almost a 100 years ago. Thank you so very much for preserving this and continue to provide more information that you have.

Regards

John

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

At the risk of wearing folks out on this post, I am posting some more images of this suburb group. To my knowledge, this is one of the finest groups of this kind extant. I can say that with all humility, as I am only the current caretaker of this over the top Lafayette Flying Corps group. The real credit is due to the previous collector that had owned this group since he was a teenager and kept it together for more that 40 years before allowing me the privilege of ownership. The size and completeness of this group is hard to describe and has not been shown in its' entirety. The former owner is a member on this fine forum, and goes by the handle of "ottodog". We have remained friends since our first meeting and he has really been a pleasure to know. The reason for all this fluff, is due to a serious attack on his integrity after he sold me this grouping. That attack later trickled down to me. Those feelings still exist today in a few individuals that were close to the transaction between Ottodog and me. As far as I'm concerned, the matter regarding me is over. I could care less. But Ottodog deserves the credit and recognition as an upstanding individual in this sometimes petty circle of us collectors and preservationists. First and foremost, he kept this group together for over 40 years. The temptation to sell off the duplicate articles (of which there are many) in this archive, never happened. He sold it to me on my lesser offer, rather then sell it for a much greater price to another collector. As a matter of fact, I had to pass his muster before a sale would be consummated. All in all, it became a 12 hour trip and interview. I did not leave with the group. That occurred 7 days later and another 12 hour day.

But getting back to the post

Ottodog called me to tell me that while going through his pile of stuff that he had located some small items that belong to Walter Rheno that should have been with the group when he sold it to me well over a year ago. To reinforce my previous point; he could have sold these items to any other collector for significant monies, but he gave them to me to preserve the integrity of the group. He left what he was sending a little vague. I knew there was a small medal and not much else. Below are the following items that have now rejoined the group.

Thanks Steve -