M1945 & M1956 Harness Suspenders: Vietnam through 80s

Brig

I recently picked up 2 types of harnesses. one is an H-harness, similar to the ones used up to recently only made of canvas instead of nylon. the second is a two piece that threads through the other on the back, with four straps in the front. what era was this used in? and when was the H-harness adopted? any help would be great, I'm not much of a field gear guy

h harness on left, other type on right

102_0072.JPG

Hi Brig,

The H-shaped harness is an M1956 suspender and used in the Vietnam-era until replaced by the similar but nylon M1967 gear in the late 1960's. The X-shaped harness is probably an M1945 suspender used for the M45 packs and used in Korea, the 2 ammo pouches in the pics are also M1956 webbing and the belt looks to be an M1961 USMC belt, all commonly used in Vietnam.

Greetz ;)

David

I assumed the pouches went with the X-harness as they have clips on straps, and the X-harness has rings near the shoulders where I assume the pouch clips were connected

how can you tell the belt is USMC? the snaps in the middle? it has a hook clasp with a sharp tip, not the usual 'ball' type I've seen around, and appears to never have had a tightening strap cut off, but is fairly large

how long was this model pouch used? through Vietnam, or did a new model come out during that era?

judging that I got all this at a surplus store outside a Marine Corps base, I imagine the majority of it was used by Marines during their respective eras of service

thanks for all the info!

how can you tell the belt is USMC? the snaps in the middle? it has a hook clasp with a sharp tip, not the usual 'ball' type I've seen around, and appears to never have had a tightening strap cut off, but is fairly large

That is the 1961 USMC belt with the center row of snaps designed to hold the magazine pouches for the M14. It is missing the ball end: the end with the hook would loop through that and then the hook would slip into one of the grommets on the belt and the sliders (you have one at the other end of of the belt) slide over the hook end and hold that loop of belt. I have two of these with the missing male end. With all the pieces, I have sold these for $40-50. Here's one with a single M14 pouch:

octm60beltfront.jpg

Those M1961 USMC belts were also made from surplus WWII M1936 belts by adding the snaps, so if you have a junk M1936 or M1956 belt you can use the parts to complete it. Although not ultra rare these belts are not that common.

The M1956 suspenders can be worn with the belt (M1936/56/61) on it self or with the ammo pouches and buttpack. In that case the 2 rear clips are hooked to the 2 tabs on the back of the buttpack, and the 2 front clips go on the belt itself. You can then add the ammo pouches, whose clips on the strap go to the metal ring on front of the padded part of the suspender. Check this site on how to assemble M1956 gear: http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/vn/m56-gear.html

Greetz ;)

David

craig_pickrall

post-5-1182440731.jpg

Notice how the mag pouch strap is secured to the rectangular ring on the suspenders.

In theory the USMC never issued the M1956 web gear. They stuck with the M1941 Pack System and the M1961 belt and mag pouch system. In real life however the Marines managed to acquire the M56 gear if desired.

• 10 months later...
earlymb said:
Those M1961 USMC belts were also made from surplus WWII M1936 belts by adding the snaps, so if you have a junk M1936 or M1956 belt you can use the parts to complete it. Although not ultra rare these belts are not that common.

The M1956 suspenders can be worn with the belt (M1936/56/61) on it self or with the ammo pouches and buttpack. In that case the 2 rear clips are hooked to the 2 tabs on the back of the buttpack, and the 2 front clips go on the belt itself. You can then add the ammo pouches, whose clips on the strap go to the metal ring on front of the padded part of the suspender. Check this site on how to assemble M1956 gear: http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/vn/m56-gear.html

Greetz ;)

David

Just picked up one of the M36 belts that was converted into an M1961. Belt is a Medium (36-40" waist), tan/khaki color, horizontal weave, with 15 snaps (very first snap is slightly lower than the rest (for the M1923 clip pouch?) There is no maker's mark or date of mfg, and the U.S. stamp is partially obscured from one of the snaps.

Were the M36s converted at stateside depots or overseas?

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2546

Steve, check out the above link for more info on the M61 and also the converted M36 belts.

Your comment about a converted belt being a medium is confusing. As far as I know the M36 belts only came in one size. If it is a converted M36 it may have been converted during WW2 and was probably done stateside. I have no proof these were converted during Vietnam but if they were then it was probably done stateside as well.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2546

Steve, check out the above link for more info on the M61 and also the converted M36 belts.

Your comment about a converted belt being a medium is confusing. As far as I know the M36 belts only came in one size. If it is a converted M36 it may have been converted during WW2 and was probably done stateside. I have no proof these were converted during Vietnam but if they were then it was probably done stateside as well.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for replying to my posting. Sorry for being off on the terminology. Right now, the belt is adjusted to fit a 36" waist - with a little bit of play in it. I could probably squeeze another setting out of it. I presumed it was a Medium - believing the comment you or another subscriber to a posting about M1961s made (to the effect of "lose weight if you needed anything larger than a Medium") and since there is no maker's mark or size marking on back.

The belt has kinda a faded khaki/very very light or faded o.d. look to it - with the U.S. stamp being partially obscured by one of the snaps, is a horizontal weave pattern, and all 15 of the snaps (even the one for the .45 clip pouch) all look to be the same style of mfg. - with the first one being a little lower than the rest. The bucke attachments are the same as what's found on an M36 and are black.

Wish I could find out a little more about this belt. In your pictures of the converted M36s, my belt looks like the second one up from the bottom.

Thanks again, Craig.

Steve