Captured gear used by the doughboy

151mg

In my collection I have a grouping from a gentleman who was in the 29th division (he was an officer) during the Great War. Among his things, given to me by his daughter-in-law, is a German Mercator Knife (the folding lockblade type). She informed me that he picked it up on the front lines and kept it, using it throughout his time overseas-and beyond, as he felt it was much more durable than the similar U.S. knives. She commented that every time he would take it out to use while fishing, etc. (in the 1950's) he would always state as he put it away "well...not broken yet."

Steve

In my collection I have a grouping from a gentleman who was in the 29th division (he was an officer) during the Great War. Among his things, given to me by his daughter-in-law, is a German Mercator Knife (the folding lockblade type). She informed me that he picked it up on the front lines and kept it, using it throughout his time overseas-and beyond, as he felt it was much more durable than the similar U.S. knives. She commented that every time he would take it out to use while fishing, etc. (in the 1950's) he would always state as he put it away "well...not broken yet."

Steve

Steve, sad that knife couldn't stay in the family but at least the story lives on, may be print thus out and tape it to the knife or posterity! I am quite sure that photos would not show all of the picked up and pocketed (or backpacked Greman trench knives.... if ya werent issued a US knife I for one would be the first to pick up and extra knife....!

Greetings,

151mg, thanks for starting this thread, it has led to a great discussion!

The British bag utlized on an individual basis was a P08 Pattern carried by a fellow who was KIA at Hill 288 on October 14th, 1918. It was part of the effects brought back by one his comradess and given to his family. The fallen soldier was carrying a number of art supplies in it as he was executing illustrations in the field for a newspaper back in Iowa. I don't feel from my research on the regiment that this was an issue bag but rather something acquired individually in his travels across France, with the origin unknown.

The German belts I've seen in use among AEF soldiers were usually as war trophies.

I support scmcgeorge's comment about the lack of evidence for doughboys wearing French pattern breadbags in great numbers. In a photo survey I recently conducted of hundreds of U.S. Signal Corps images showing AEF soldiers in the field, very few U.S. soldiers were wearing such bags. Of those that were worn, those few images dated to September 1918. Most of the photos showed soldiers not carrying additional bags at all.

There were a few images of German canteens being used but not enough to describe their utlization as common.

151mg, much of the material I've found on soldiers with the 168th acquiring foreign produced gear has been via unpublished primary soruces such as company quartermaster papers and manuscripts. I'll shoot you a PM of some published source material for you to check out.

Darrek

Actually I just saw a US grenade bag on E-Bay (in Netherlands shipping was too nutz to bid right now) that looks just like a French bread bag, put them side by side in a 1918 photo and you would be just guessing.

In one of my grandffathers letters home he said that they moved through the Verdun area and if he could send home some of the stuff he saw he could make some money. This statment implies to me that indeed they didn't worrie too much about stuff that they didn't have a need for and if they didn't have a direct need for something and I am sure they enjoyed traveling light, they wouldnt need a bag to carry it in.....

In other words it appears that stuff that had immediate value in keeping them healthy and alive was picked up and used on a more than casual basis, (IE canteens, shovels/german bayonets (as an E tool), medical pouches, extra knife) All the other fluff, helmets, uniform stuff, hats other bulky stuff was all stuff picked up later for a song or a cig. Further to beat the point into the ground, most items they picked up for use, could clip on a belt or tucked behind a belt or slung over a shoulder, no extra bag needed... OK so German bread bag not so commonly used....

that being said, I am sure that someone will post something to thie tread that will have everyone scratching their heads.

Thanks Darrek, your the man!!! :thumbsup: