Ludlow wings: original ?

fabiobelgio

My feeling is :thumbdown:

this is why, look carefully at the shroud lines on the wing. See how many of the lines converge at different levels and with different neighbor lines? In ALL the good wings I have seen, the should lines nicely converge at the very bottom and each line tends to be equidistance from its nighbors on the left and right.

I believe that getting the should lines nice and correct is almost impossible for the fakers at this time.

Patrick

In looking athe linked site the wing posted there does not look like the wing posted in post #1 I do not collect jump wings so what am I missing? Patrick has offered an observation about the quality which is a start.

For me if someone could post what they feel is a "good" wing I would like to compare and contrast the specifics of each allowing for some variations. Additionally It has been suggested that this is silver plated brass if so is this not correct? I think providing more information to aid collectors wopuld be most helpful here. The wing does not appear to be cast although I might be missing something... so is someone die-striking these wing in brass?

Lots of questions... so little time ;) I hope some of you AB collectors can jump in and offer up your thoughts.

Thanks

John

Patrick

Getting the should lines is not a problem, it just takes a little extra time in making the die. So don't use this as a criteria.

But concerning this wing here is the reproduction source:

http://www.6thjune1944.com/index2.html

Joe

Sincerely Joe I visited this shop last year for the D-Day celebration and I didn't see fake or repro sold like originals, maybe I'm wrong but this was my impression. I bought there two jump wings for honest prices that were validated as originals by others forum members, so this is my personal experience.

Maybe I'm missing something else...

Fabio

Sincerely Joe I visited this shop last year for the D-Day celebration and I didn't see fake or repro sold like originals, maybe I'm wrong but this was my impression. I bought there two jump wings for honest prices that were validated as originals by others forum members, so this is my personal experience.

Maybe I'm missing something else...

Fabio

Andrew sells both originals and reproductions. He was at SOS last year and sometimes seems to forget which is which.

From a 'jump wing' guy perspective, I'll take a stab. I like them. Normally British made jump wings are not sterling silver like their US made counter parts. I'm not sure what they are made of, but it is not sterling. I do have Brit made brass wings that were plated. The catch is of the variety that is seen on Ludlows. On the Ludlows that are in my collection and others that I have seen the two shroud lines on the right of the badge (as you look at the front) always converge. Just my dos centavos...

Fabiobelgio, confused ? I am.

I think I fall into the intermediate catergry when it comes to wing collecting. I like to think I am upto speed with ww2 era US made wings but British [and Australian] are still a mystery to me.

Now it seems to me the wings [british made,of any type] most likely to be right will be silver plated brass.

Very occassionaly brit wings will be solid silver and fully hall marked in the British style including a date letter.

The third type I encounter are made from a silver colored metal and these are the ones I am not sure about.

This metal, Britsh insignia [cap badges etc] collectors refer to as white metal [ which I believe is nickel] Now sometimes this white metal can have a yellowish tinge to it. Infact pre 1908 vollunter battalion cap badge should be nice and "white" and are disscounted as restrikes if the metal has this yellowish tinge.

I dont think Fabiobelgio badge is plated, I have a glidder troops badge marked LUDLOW made from solid white metal with a yellowish tinge to it, definatly not plated. My badge has the same catch as Fabio's.

QUESTION, are any of the white metal British wings, AAF etc OK ?

Graham.

post-4927-1264786000.jpg

John,

the reverse of my LUDLOW. No signe of it ever being plated. Made from solid white metal with a slight yellowish [brass] tinge to it. Looks die struck to me [shear marks]

• 1 month later...
1SG_1st_Cav

I have yet to see someone post what they consider an original Ludlow Jump Wing on this thread. I hear a lot of yapping, but where's the Beef! The reason I ask is because I have a Ludlow with the number 519488 stamped on it. I read somewhere awhile back that someone knew the answer to this mystery. Help! Thanks-Danny

post-1691-1269307275.jpg

I have yet to see someone post what they consider an original Ludlow Jump Wing on this thread. I hear a lot of yapping, but where's the Beef! The reason I ask is because I have a Ludlow with the number 519488 stamped on it. I read somewhere awhile back that someone knew the answer to this mystery. Help! Thanks-Danny

Danny,

Even after your post, you are still waiting to see an ORIGINAL WWII manufactured Ludlow wing.

ALlan

flyingfortress

Here's a sterling paratrooper jump wing I have although it's not British-made. I'm just showing it to support what Patrick said about shroud lines.

Regards, George

post-6250-1269435440.jpg