1956's USN JET PILOT

Bebel

USN jet pilots flight equipments were improved by 1956 with the new generation of higher performance fighters incoming in Navy: A-4 Skyhawk and F-8 Crusader.

APH-5 fiberglass helmet superseded the H-4 and new integrated harness and survival vest MK-3 replace old MK-2 and seat parachute. The naval aviation was entering in a new age and these kind of equipments were yet in service 20 years later.

The "old" version of flightgears worn by an USN pilot was composed of H-4 helmet, Mil-S-5390B suit, Mk-2 life vest (second version with more and largest pockets).

usn19561.jpg

The new version of flight equipments was principally composed of the new integrated harness (spéc. Mil-S-19089) on which the ejection seat harness was directly attached and of the MK-3 life preserver (Mil-L-22276). The first model of MK-3 had yellow straps as the previous MK-2 vest. A few time later MK-3 vest was directly attached on the integrated harness which was modified for that. On the MK-3 vest some pilots or units added small external pockets for survival accessories. On the photo an example of a such modified life vest is shown. Each pocket contains a PSK-2 (Personal Survival Kit #2). In the inner vest there are two signal launchers MK-13 Mod 0 smoke/flares.

Oxygen was provided to the mask by a REDAR hose and a regulator on the MS-22001 mask.

The Z-3 anti-g suit was used since 1945 in the Navy although Z-2 anti-blackout complete suit was often prefered. But at the end of the 50's the Z-3 was more worn. Both Z-2 and Z-3 will be replaced by MK-2A version in the 60's.

usn19562.jpg

In the 60's US Navy pilot gears were not very different (see the CROC's Crusader pilot here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=60097).

1956 is the first year where these new generation of equipments was coming in service. But previous generation was yet used for some years after, depending on what airplanes were flown.

Charlie Flick

Very nice exposition on the subject, Bebel, as usual. Thank you.

But I do not see any Pilot Survival Knife (as distinguished from the later 5 inch and 6 inch Jet Pilot Knives) in your display. Those of us who collect the sharp, pointy things would like to see them mentioned as well. :thumbsup:

Great stuff.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

At the beginning of 1956 the new USN APH-5 helmet begins his career by being tested in real situation. Integrated earphones, visor housing, improved shell, inner layer of polystyrene plastic energy absorption material , the APH-5 is a new generation helmet for new generation fighters. Individual fitting is provided by internal sponge rubber pads which are furnished with each helmet in six sizes.

At the time of January 1957 two contracts for purchase 10000 APH-5 helmets were signed. Some problems were ameliorated on the next series as the plastic female communications plug on the side of the helmet which was poorly placed and subject to frequent breakage.

The APH-5 will receive the "Christmas tree" system for retention of oxygen mask about 1958. It will be replaced by APH-6 model at the beginning of the 60's.

aph5002.jpg

aph5003.jpg

Very nice exposition on the subject, Bebel, as usual. Thank you.

But I do not see any Pilot Survival Knife (as distinguished from the later 5 inch and 6 inch Jet Pilot Knives) in your display. Those of us who collect the sharp, pointy things would like to see them mentioned as well. :thumbsup:

Great stuff.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thank you very much Charlie!

You're right but pilots do not always have a survival knife with them. I have only an old Western Colorado hunting knife on another of my life vest for a Korean war USN pilot presentation. But I must find other to show with later gears! :thumbsup:

Hi Frank

the early MK3C with MA1 Torso Harness is very nice.

I enclose the Naval Aviation News article about these new items presentation from august 1956

post-1289-1264615067.jpg

Best

Croc

Hi Yves

Thank you for the photo. Here is another from NAN 12/1956.

nan1256.jpg

Another photo with SL-1 leggins for survival SEEK-1 kit and other survival items before the SV-1 vest. USN 5390-E orange flight suit.

20100123002i.jpg

Hi Frank,

I am new to the US Militaria Forum, but I am a longtime historian, researcher, analyst, and collector of 20th Century US military equipment and apparel (both ground and aviation gear), but I specialize in the study and research of USN flight gear from Korea-Vietnam.

I am most lucky, as my detailed study of US military equipment history is my pastime, and it is also my professional job. I am a forensic scientist and equipment analyst working for the US Dept of Defense, at a DoD laboratory that specializes in the scientific and forensic analysis of US military equipment artifacts recovered from loss sites in South East Asia, with the goal of accounting for US military service members that are unaccounted for (Missing In Action) from the Vietnam War. As such, I have devoted most of my adult life to the study and history of US military personal equipment.

I have enjoyed your Forum articles on US Navy flight gear of the 1950s and 1960s, which are good.

However, I’d like to make a few corrections on several Navy flight apparel equipment items, so as to provide the most correct historical accuracy on this subject, on this Forum.

Since I have a great deal of info to add, I will attach my article in a separate block.

Following the Korean War, the mid-1950s marked a critical turning point for the evolution of modern military flight equipment, as the US Navy developed and introduced several groundbreaking equipment items that revolutionized the entire military aviation world, and introduced a new generation of modern and brilliant equipment designs that are still in use today.

The most influential and important equipment item introduced by the Navy following Korea was the ‘Integrated Torso Harness Suit’, as it was originally labeled. This harness system was developed and authorized for manufacture in late 1955, under Military Specification ‘MIL-S-19089’, dated November 1955.

This modern harness system was developed for use in high performance Navy aircraft, such as the A4D Skyhawk and F8U Crusader. It allowed an aviator to easily attach and detach from his parachute system, once he was seated in his aircraft, freeing him from donning his entire parachute system prior to entering the aircraft. More importantly, it was designed to be compatible with the modern ejection seat systems used in these two Navy tactical aircraft types.

The earliest Torso Harness version did not carry a specific numerical type, and was only labeled ‘Integrated Torso Harness Suit’. I’ll refer to it as the THS.

The First Pattern (FP) of the THS featured two small fixed ‘D’ rings (the male part), one on each shoulder, in which the parachute riser’s Rocket Jet fitting (female part) attached to. These D rings were permanently fixed in place, and could not be adjusted.

Two separate D rings were fixed to a small webbed belt at the THS lower front, which served to fasten to the seat lap belt, which itself also secured an oxygen seat pan, and a seat survival kit.

The FP THS also featured an oxygen hose retainer channel, which was a zipped narrow fabric sleeve that ran diagonally across the THS from the upper left chest, down to the lower left hip. This channel accepted the narrow high-pressure oxygen hose system, which was also a new equipment item introduced during this same timeframe.

Of note, the First Pattern THS did not have any construction features in which to directly retain a life preserver system. Instead, the early pattern Mark 3 (A Pattern, most likely) Life Preserver was carried on a nylon web shoulder harness that simply was worn over the THS, as perfectly shown in the attached photo of an F8U Crusader pilot, aboard the USS SARATOGA in June 1957.

This THS and MK-3 set-up worked, but the Navy soon realized that both systems must be better combined and used together, and so in late 1957, the THS was modified and enhanced by the addition of a nylon webbing belt, that accepted a newly modified and enhanced Mark 3 B Pattern life preserver (which deleted the earlier shoulder harness, and used a similar webbing belt to attach directly to the THS).

With the arrival of an improved Rocket Jet fitting system introduced on the THS around 1960, the specific title ‘MA’ began to be used, with the FP THS being termed ‘MA-1’, and the improved Second Pattern being termed ‘MA-2’.

As the MA-1 was an effective equipment item, it saw Fleet use well into the mid-1960s, as shown in the attached photo of a young LT John McCain, taken in 1965, during early flight training in T-2s.

Hope this info helps, and I will write more time allows.

Blue Skies!

post-9425-1264735690.jpg

post-9425-1264735818.jpg

Hi Superheat

What a wonderful job!

Thank you very much for your informations. It's very difficult for me to find the exact history of these equipments. The NAN collection is a very good source for me but there is not enough spécifications nor dates.

I am very interested by all documentations I could find and happy to learn! Please don't hesitate to post some articles completing mines.

I hope to have written not much errors!

Franck

Hello Franck,

Good to hear from you, and thanks for your kind words. As collectors, we should try to share much info with others, especially if the info adds more historical accuracy to the topic at hand.

I have a good deal of technical and historical info on flight gear, but it would do no good if I did not share it with others, such as here on the Forum, or by other ways.

You have a good eye, and you noticed the USAF flight suits being worn by these Navy 'Sader pilots!

This K-2B suit shown is a very early version, likely the first version of the MIL-S-6265 Mil Spec. This version is different from later versions in that it had a pointed collar, like a shirt. Later versions all used the rounded style collar.

Because of the USAF K-2B suit being worn by these pilots, I first thought they might be USAF exchange pilots serving in the Navy, but they are clearly wearing Navy wing leather patches on the suit, so they are true Navy F8U pilots.

Interesting that they chose to wear a USAF suit, versus a Navy issue suit!

Franck, on your early Navy Mark 3 preserver, does it have any stamped markings stating which exact type it is? I have only seen a few photos of this rare early version, so I am curious if your item has any info marked on it.

I have photos in one of my early 60s cruise books that shows Navy pilots wearing a later Mark 3, possibly the B version that followed yours, with the carry harness. I will try to locate this photo that shows an A4D pilot wearing the Mark 3 B (?) that attached directly to the THS, and post it.

All the best, and will be in touch!

Superheat (Alex)

Hello Alex

Unfortunately I cannot seen any stamps on my Mk3. But since there are additional pockets sewn on each side for survival kit perhaps there is a label under one of them?. I prefer do not open the pouches to see if there is any label inner because it is very too difficult to close it properly!

I always look at all my stuffs if there is any label or marking. It's a good source of information but it is often difficult to exactly date the gear. I try with contract number but I have not very good information about. Could you provide a list of flight gears contracts from this period (about 1945/1960)? It would be a very pertinent information to date an item i think.

The USAF suits are Mil-S-6265-A or B version with pointed collar with only one chest pocket. I have in my collection an original photo from an "exchanged" USAF pilot in an USN unit who have his USAF suit with wings star on the left shoulder.

Perhaps could you find any information about LCdr Ralph Odgers? All these equipments have this name stamped on them. I only found that he was a pilot in VA-153 and Annapolis class 1947 graduated.

PSK-2 survival kits in the additional pouches of the MK3 LP.

psk2.jpg

Bests,

Franck

Hi Franck,

Most MK 3 life vests are marked with their item information on the inspection card pocket, which is located on the outside surface of the right waist section.

Look at my photo of the Crusader pilot photo in this Forum topic, and you will see this square-shaped card pocket just to the left of the preserver front, almost covered by the pilot's right arm.

If your vest is properly marked, it should have the following info:

Item title: (Life Preserver MK-3C)

Contract Number: (N383-90345)

Manufactuer: (Switlik Parachute Company, Inc.)

Date of Manufacture: (Date MFD. JAN.1961)

Serial Number: (Serial No. 6946)

Looking at your photos of your early Mark 3, this inspection card pocket is located below the survival kit pocket attached to the preserver. If the PSK-2 kit pocket is sewn down, then you may not be able to see the markings on the inspection card pocket, but they are probably hidden below the PSK-2 pocket.

As for old Navy contract lists, they would be very difficult to research, since we do not know where these contract lists are located currently (and they would be in the thousands), if then even still exist.

Sadly, many US government offices simply threw away old documents, such as contract listing, MilSpecs, etc., after they became obsolete, and outdated.

My laboratory was given many old MilSpecs about 15 years ago, as they were to be thrown away, but a friend called me first, and asked if we wanted them, which we gladly did.

As for the Navy pilot LCDR R. Odgers, I can look around and see if I can find any info on him. Do you know if he flew Skyhawks, Crusaders, etc.? If we knew what he flew, i may be able to research my USN cruise book collection to maybe find him in a squadron photo...

Will be in touch, my friend,

Alex

Hi Alex

Thank you very much for your post.

I have carefully examined my Mk3 to find any label. Sorry I do not find but "LEFT" behind the belt at the back. I presume that markings are under the PSK-2 pocket. If you want some detailed photos of this equipment please ask me. It would be a pleasure for me to do.

There is a thread in this forum where a collector seems to have found a list of old USN contracts and was talking about. You may be able to find the post in the forum. It would be interesting that you give us your opinion about.

LCdr Ralph Odgers was flying A-4 with VA-153 at the end of 50's and was a class 1947 Annapolis graduated. It's all I could find about him (expecting this is the good R.Odgers!).

Thank you again for your help.

Hi Alex, Franck,

The two oldest references I have about MK3C are the following :

25 mar 1958 Aer AE 5232 9 integration with torso harness

31 mar 1958 Aer AE 523 13 Mk3C life preserver

best

Croc

Hello Franck,

Glad to help in any way.

Thanks for looking at your preserver. In your photos it seems that the PSK pocket is directly over the inspection card pocket, so it is blocking the view of the preserver markings, if they are present!

If you are brave, and are ever able to view the area below this PSK pocket (by partly removing it, if you desire), it would be most interesting to see if the inspection card pocket shows any markings.

The big question here is what exact type of Mark 3 is your preserver??? My research is indicating that your preserver type is the first of it's kind, which may make it a Mark 3, or a Mark 3A.

If you confirm any markings, this would help answer part of this mystery. Of course, I will continue to look for the original MilSpec and other drawings to seek an answer.

If you have other detailed photos of the preserver, this would be most appreciated. You can post them here, or email me direct at '[email protected]'.

I found some info on our LCDR Odgers, as he did fly with VA-153, off the USS HANCOCK, during one or both WESTPACS with this unit.

1) Febuary-October 1958, with CVG-15, flying A4D-1s.

2) or, July 1959-Jan 1960, CVG-15, flying A4D-2s.

The first cruise above might be consistent with your early flight gear being used by LCDR odgers, as this may be the right time, and even a bit late, for the use of the early MK-3 and 1st pattern Torso Harness.

By late 1958/early 1959, this early pattern gear should have been replaced by the improved MK-3 without the shoulder harness, and the MA-1 with the preserver attachment belt.

I will keep looking for more info on him, and also look for the topic on Navy contracts! Thanks!

Blue skies,

Alex

Good info, and thanks. Very interesting info about the integration type, and the dates for both items.

The early 1958 date for the MK3C is very interesting, and tells us that by this time period, the Navy improved the early MK-3 models to do away with the harness, and upgrade the preserver with the addition of the attachment belt, thus making it a MK-3C!

Keep the info coming, as we try to answer these mystery gear questions!

Cheers,

AV

Hi Alex,

A couple of years ago, when we published the article about USN high altitude pressure suit, we made such research.

It appeared that the march 1958 new life preserver was already called MK3C when it was introduced.

I enclose you the photo and the text from the NavAer 00-80T-52 1959 edition

post-1289-1265102962.jpg

post-1289-1265102983.jpg

Mk3 appeared to be the first yellow LP for high altitude pressure suit, but I never found any Mk3A or B reference ? why I don't know ? I only found Mk 2, MK 3, Mk 3C, Mk 4, Mk 5 (experimental) and Mk 6.

What or so appeared is a 24 november 1964 modification to MK3C MilSpé (MIL-L-22276) may be in this modification the yellow harness was removed ?

Hi Yves

Thank you for these informations. Unfortunately I was not able to see any marking on my Mk3 (A, B or C?). I suppose it would be under the additional pockets.

Cheers,

Franck

• 3 months later...

Thought I might revive the thread with a picture of a spec label on a 58 dated Mk3C The preserver has the yellow harness along with the belt to attach it to the harness.

jp

post-598-1274023450.jpg