How do I treat a 1916 RIA orginal Holster?

airbornewings

airbornewings

Hello Everyone,

New here. Just got a real nice 1916 Rock Island orginal holster. The first year the went away from the calvary rig. Anyways, I thought I would come here and talk to the experts. The holster looks as she has never been treated, the flap fold is dry. I will post a pic if someone tells me how... :rolleyes:

So here is a link to all the photos of her.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/airb...Holster%201916/

airbornewings
Hello Everyone,

New here. Just got a real nice 1916 Rock Island orginal holster. The first year the went away from the calvary rig. Anyways, I thought I would come here and talk to the experts. The holster looks as she has never been treated, the flap fold is dry. I will post a pic if someone tells me how... :rolleyes:

So here is a link to all the photos of her.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/airb...Holster%201916/

Oh yeah, for got to mentions she cost me $65 shipped... :w00t:

Charlie Flick

Airborne:

First, welcome to the Forum.

Next, that is a very nice example of the scarce M1916 holster made by RIA.

I have said here many times that, in my opinion, Pecard leather Treatment is the way to go. Leather treatment is like beer, however. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences. Pecard has served me well for many years so I recommend it.

Congratulations on a nice find.

Regards,

Charlie

airbornewings
Airborne:

First, welcome to the Forum.

Next, that is a very nice example of the scarce M1916 holster made by RIA.

I have said here many times that, in my opinion, Pecard leather Treatment is the way to go. Leather treatment is like beer, however. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences. Pecard has served me well for many years so I recommend it.

Congratulations on a nice find.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, i did hear about Pecard...might just give it a try.

I saw the same holster on ebay for $300+ amazing.

airbornewings

Hello All,

Spoke with Phil over at Pecard Chemical...very knowledgable...sending out what I need, thanks to Charlie Flick. Here is his info:

Phil Wadzinski

Pecard Chemical Co., Inc.

Pecard Leather Care Products

800-467-5056 Fax:920-468-1399

[email protected]

My.02:

Don't do anything to it. I only used Pecards (I like it BTW and have some) on very distressed holsters and leather gear......also leather that was already very dark and oiled/tanned..

I would want to try and retain the light-color of the original leather as much as possible.

If it were mine I'd get a Ziplock bag big enough for it to fit in, put the holster in it and zip it almost all the way shut....then evacuate most of the air out of the bag that you can, and zip it the rest of the way....store it in total darkness, I used large metal ammo cans that were air tight.

I've owned 40-50 minty WWI and WW2 holsters at one time and they were all stored this way.

Good luck with it..! :thumbsup:

airbornewings

Thanks everforward. My dad did that with his items and passed on the same message...LOL...guess great minds think alike.

:thumbsup:

The very first thing I would do is get a toothpick and clean that verdigris off around and under the rivets. Verdigris will damage the leather fater than humidity or light.

Tom @ Snake River

After being around the conservators for the State of Idaho, they cringe everytime anyone sticks something in plastic.

I like to cut up an old bed sheet, stuff some into the interior of the item to retain its shape, and wrap the exterior in the cloth and place in an air tight ammo can.

After being around the conservators for the State of Idaho, they cringe everytime anyone sticks something in plastic.

I like to cut up an old bed sheet, stuff some into the interior of the item to retain its shape, and wrap the exterior in the cloth and place in an air tight ammo can.

Well, I can see why they'd be concerned----I assume it would be the effect on the contents from the potential off-gassing of the plastic.

In my own experience of storing holsters in the manner I described I never saw any negative effects of long-term storage.

Wrapping the holsters in clean cloth and then in an air-tight ammo can sounds equally as good to me, and worth a try.

Yep. Carefully clean all the greenies off. I've used Picard for years. Now I'm having second thoughts. Brand spanking new gear your going to use, yes. Old gear, maybe better to be left alone. My2c

airbornewings

Thanks everyone!!!! Now I am more confused then ever! LOLOLOL

Still love the post though...you guys are great. :thumbsup: