BATAAN CORREGIDOR POW GROUP - USS CANOPUS

KASTAUFFER

I just recently acquired this POW group to a Radioman who served on the USS Canopus and became a POW in the Philippines.

The USS Canopus was the " little ship that could". She was a submarine tender that was damaged by Japanese aircraft, but continued to serve. Her crew made it look like she was going to sink and continued to provide service to the men on Bataan since her extensive repair facilities on board were un-damaged. She even served Ice Cream to visitors! On April 10, 1942 her crew moved her over to deep water and sank her, ending the career of a ship that served from 1922-1942.

Radioman 3c Mason, moved to Corregidor after she was sunk. He was captured there on May 6, 1942 and eventually was sent to POW Camp 10A on Palawan. He was one of the lucky ones. He was moved from Palawan to Japan before the Japanese committed one of the most heinous war crimes against POW's during WWII. On Dec 14,1944 150 US POWs were herded into bomb shelters on Palawan and set ablaze by the Japanese guards. Only 11 men survived to tell the tale.

Mason survived his trip to Japan and was liberated in Sept 1945 at a POW camp near Osaka Japan. He came back to the US and spent quite a bit of time in hospitals before he was discharged.

While we all like Airborne, USMC, FSSF, Armored groups, ETC , these POWs in my opinion are the unsung heroes of WWII. Their service is just as important.

This is a photo of RM3c Mason taken by the Japanese at Osaka POW camp in Japan.

MVC_003L.JPG

George at a happier time.

MVC_009L.JPG

MVC_001L.JPG

MVC_002L.JPG

MVC_004L.JPG

MVC_006L.JPG

This last medal appears to be one awarded by the City of San Diego to her veterans. This is the first one I have ever seen.

Some of the POW postcards George mailed from Camp 10A ( Palawan ) in the Philippines . There are probably no more than 10-12 of these cards from Palawan known to be in collectors hands. Much of my POW mail collection was just featured in a book that was printed last month about POW mail from the Philippines and Taiwan. It is part 5 in a series of books about POW mail from the Pacific.

Here is a link to a website with many more images of POW mail from the Philippines:

http://www.philippinephilatelist.net/Colle...n_Foreword.html

MVC_007L.JPG

Lastly, this is a letter George mailed from Bataan in February 1942. I also have the envelope it was mailed in. This was the only letter his family would receive from him while on Bataan and Corregidor.

MVC_008L.JPG

I also have a little diary that George kept as a POW, but it is almost entirely comprised of addresses and recipies/meal plans for food he wanted to eat when he came home. Food was always on their minds.

It is unbelievable what these pows endured. They are true heros. I have a pow group to a north china marine who was captured on dec 8 1942 and survived the war. I post it soon Mark

I don't know how you do it. These just keep getting better.

The photos just add so much to these groupings and your research is excellent. Thanks for sharing this!!

Thanks for the comments guys!

One thing I wanted to point out about the medals is that while the Asiatic Pacific campaign and American Campaign are missing, he probably never got them. The American Defense and WWII Victory medals were available right after the war. The others weren't available to be issued until 1947-48 and many vets never got them.

Kurt

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Back to the top in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Fall of Bataan.

Kurt

• 4 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER

Back to the top in remembrance of the 75th Anniversary Fall of Corregidor .

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...