Anyone got an idea what this is?

hawkdriver

i got this in a group of items, I thought it was a M2 compass pouch, then turned it over and saw the FIST marking, leading me to think even more that it is a M2. No stencil markings, just the drawn on ones.

2vjbgxh.jpg

zx4f8j.jpg

craig_pickrall

I have seen a lot of those with the M2 compass but the real case for the M2 is either a heavy leather pouch or an OD green plastic pouch. I'm not sure what your web pouch is intended for. I have a couple of them and I think I have mine thrown in with comm gear until I get a positive ID.

Craig,

I thought the same thing, both of my M2s have the plastic case, but this pouch works perfectly as Tony showes. Thanks guys, hopefully someone will stumble onto this and clear it up.

it's a case for a signal corp "fishing reel antana"...issued out sometimes from the commo shop to line Infantry RTO's to help give more range to the AN/PRC-25 and AN/PRC-77 radios...i guess you could use it for a compass case as well....thier was a thread on this item not to long ago i think??...vince g. 11b inf...

No kidding! I just got a PRC-25, this will make a great unexpected addition to that radio! Thanks for the info. Now, got a picture of the antenna reel???

Yep, for the AT-984 antenna. I don't have mine out to snap a photo right now, I'm sure someone will though. Here is an extract from the TM on it, not a good photo but the pouch is shown. I always see these advertised as compass cases and usually the seller has no idea about the reel antenna.

post-282-1264099268.jpg

craig_pickrall

Thanks to vince g. 11b inf for finally giving us an ID on this pouch. I have wondered for several years now.

I created a new thread at this link. It covers the components used with the PRC 25 and 77 Radios.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry474153