Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

MP__s_Training_Dogs___Front.jpg

Can't you just hear the dog on the left saying "OK, that was high and to the left... try dropping your elbow and this time hold your breath."

Good one! Thanks for posting it.

Here is another one from the sandbox.

post-70-1283811866.jpg

Wow, too cute. I’m sure Roman Centurions took local pups into their camps with them for companionship.

I always loved the Bill Maudlin cartoon that shows Willie and Joe are in a tent during a driving rain storm. There's a woebegone, drenched dog outside looking in. "Let him in Willie, I want to see something I can feel sorry for." I wish I could find a graphic it online.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
kyhistorian01

Here is a photo from a group I recently added to my archive. Its is of the Dog Platoon, 40th Division taken in Korea very early 1954. Note the 40th Division patch on the Dogs.

Robert

post-6492-1295754499.jpg

• 3 months later...
rudeerude

The dog has been adopted by the 442nd Regimental Medics as a mascot.The dog is called "Wahine" which means women in Hawaii.

post-6524-1304896626.jpg

Wow, too cute. I’m sure Roman Centurions took local pups into their camps with them for companionship.

I always loved the Bill Maudlin cartoon that shows Willie and Joe are in a tent during a driving rain storm. There's a woebegone, drenched dog outside looking in. "Let him in Willie, I want to see something I can feel sorry for." I wish I could find a graphic it online.

Here ya go! From Mauldin's book "Bill Mauldin's Army".

post-5041-1305126323.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good ones, guys! Keep them coming. Today's picture is from a Marine landing on the Delta. She looks just like my Abby when she was a puppy (she's 13½ now!). Enjoy! :D

post-70-1309571483.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Pfc. Karl, a Marine Devil Dog of the 6th War Dog Platoon, and his handler.Roy L. Jackson. also a Pfc, of Jack Horn, Ky. Roy was a veterinarian in civilian life. Of the thirty two dogs in his platoon, Roy knows the name, rank and serial number of them by heart. He knows which dogs like him the best and those that like him the least. Iwo Jima

post-6524-1310949712.jpg

War Dog patrol on Okinawa,three Marines and their War Dogs search for Japanese holdouts on Okinawa, June 1945.

post-6524-1311014137.jpg

Sgt. Spano and Lobo, Da Nang, Vietnam, August 1968

One of a series of official Marine Corps photographs of Sgt. Spano and his War Dog Lobo completing a parachute jump in Da Nang, Vietnam, August 1968.

The caption reads “Away they go—Spano and Lobo dive out of the plane for the long awaited jump.”

post-6524-1311014307.jpg

Sgt. Spano and Lobo, Da Nang, Vietnam, August 1968

The caption reads “Soaring high—With Lobo lowered for the touchdown the two just ride out the jump.”

post-6524-1311014463.jpg

Private John L. Drugan and his dog Pal on Okinawa, May 1945. Pal saved a platoon of Marines from an ambush by alerting his handler of a hidden Japanese machine gun nest.

post-6524-1311015044.jpg

And lets not forget Nubs.. The Iraqi wardog who found a home here in the states with his Marine buddy Lt. Brian Dennis.. His story is pretty neat!! It's a great book by the way called "Nubs"..

Fins...

post-4106-1311025719.jpg

dogs are becoming increasingly useful in theater. Many units have Marines designated as handlers, and each platoon/company/etc gets a specific number at all times, the handlers course is a month long.

For a good wartime dog story, there's a book called 'From Baghdad With Love' ...

• 3 months later...
Christine1958Fury

My contribution this one is in my own collection....It was in a 1920's photo album from a Marine I have. I love this one. Has anyone seen it before? It for sure appears to be an original photo taken by the album owner not a store bought.

post-56417-1322030688.jpg