Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

Here is a tintype of Private George K. Edwards Company "G" First Massachusetts Heavy Artillery. 1862

post-9487-1276808316.jpg

Here is a tintype of Private George K. Edwards Company "G" First Massachusetts Heavy Artillery. 1862

I love it! Our first Civil War dog! :thumbsup: If he was from Georgia he would be a dawg :-)

Bien Hoa 1969

This is Bear, even when his handler was present, you could not approach him

S43_copy.jpg

Frank

Interesting. I had an MP yearbook from Korea from the mid-1970's. It also had a large black haired dog named "Bear" who apparenlty also was not very friendly, especially to the locals.

It makes me wonder if they were the same dog? Or maybe the behavior just goes along with the name?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
post-70-1280803588.jpg

Hi Gunbarrel, thanks for the latest photo's of dogs, did you take note of the non-regulation belt with eyelet holes that the Marine far right is wearing.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy
post-70-1276568774.jpg

Hi Gunbarrel, I recall with great sadness a story related to me by a veteran B-17 captain, he told me with no hint of remorse in his voice that he once caught one of his crewmen with a puppy in the aircraft on a flying mission, and he ordered the crewman to throw the dog out the bomb bay doors.

Lewis.

Hi Gunbarrel, thanks for the latest photo's of dogs, did you take note of the non-regulation belt with eyelet holes that the Marine far right is wearing.

Cheers Lewis

Ken,

No, I didn't! Good eye! :thumbsup:

GB

Hi Gunbarrel, I recall with great sadness a story related to me by a veteran B-17 captain, he told me with no hint of remorse in his voice that he once caught one of his crewmen with a puppy in the aircraft on a flying mission, and he ordered the crewman to throw the dog out the bomb bay doors.

Lewis.

Man...NO HEART! :crybaby:

GB

Misanthropic_Gods

Lewis.

I think I would have disobeyed that direct order, that is just cruel. It wasnt the dogs fault.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gunbarrel's photo of Lady Moe the only Jackass that ever flew in a combat mission. She also was the mascot for the 96th Bombardment Group. Was on the poster for selling war bonds. Later she died by being hit by a train. I had gotten these pictures from a soldier that had served in WW2 and helped take care of Moe. Moe and a dalmation dog were buddies at the base. Here are some of my Lady Moe pictures.

post-8222-1284665725.jpg

Gunbarrel's photo of Lady Moe the only Jackass that ever flew in a combat mission. She also was the mascot for the 96th Bombardment Group. Was on the poster for selling war bonds. Later she died by being hit by a train. I had gotten these pictures from a soldier that had served in WW2 and helped take care of Moe. Moe and a dalmation dog were buddies at the base. Here are some of my Lady Moe pictures.

post-8222-1284665839.jpg