Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

This is one of my favorite areas of collecting. I have quite a few pictures of these War Dogs, I'll scan a few and put them on tomorrow.

If anyone ever wants to part with any of these great photos, just drop me a line!

Adam

Hi Adam i am sure as posted on closer inspection that Kurt has it right with the 36th Infantry T...but the one above is definatley 12th Air Force

Regards

Lloyd

Submarine dog! w00t.gif

It is of interest where it could find a piece of grass for its needs? My Labrador Retriever lady requires laboratory conditions, I would say, and for example wet grass for my four-leg lady is unacceptable. :lol:

post-75-1168198562.jpg

Current USMC K-9's: a German Shepherd and a Belgian Malinoi.

It may not seem true from that picture, but Belgian Malinois are among the most faithful of dogs.

I sure wouldn't want to cross one with military training though.

Adam

I got this photo from a WWII vet who was with the Marine 4th division in the Pacific theater. It was taken on Iwo Jima and shows two Dobermans in action, with one heading down towards a cave, and the second dog waiting patiently to bite whoever comes out.

post-299-1168281118.jpg

Often this was the end for a lot of WWI dogs. At least this one got a christian sepulture from his master. Quite disturbing ain't?

post-67-1168287756.jpg

• 8 months later...

This little photo I recently picked up from eBay.
It depicts a German Shepherd Dog in either the US or German Army.
There is nothing written on the back, only the "Agfa - Lupex" mark.

Does anyone else have original WWII pictures of animals in the US Army?
If so, post them please.

I have a GSD as well as my girlfriend (mine is called Brandie, hers is called Sandy).

Erwin

post-22-0-63616800-1400530933.jpg

That's the topic I was looking for.

But I didn't find it. :unsure:

Anyone from the Moderators can move this post to that topic if possible.

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of a USAF military working dog and his handler on a dismounted patrol through a rural neighborhood just south of Baghdad. This was taken last winter.

post-781-1192860948.jpg

Check the October 19th 1967 Look Magazine. A good friend of mine was a dog handler with the 1st MP Bn. (USMC) in Vietnam.

Bill

the.warlord1944
did you know there was a dog awarded the siver star on sicily! it was later recended I have the article somewhere.The story goes that a german machine gun nest had GI's pinned down and the dog assualted the nest wounding two germans and sending the third running,the dog was shot across the top of the head which left a permanent reverse mohawk.

Their was made a movie about it ,,Skipp hte wardogg,,

Really great film (they didn`t do the reversed mohawk in the movie but the rest is correct,,).

• 1 month later...

post-70-1198513152.jpg

U.S. Marine Corps Cpl. Vanhorn, from 3rd Battalion, 1st Brigade, 7th Iraqi Army Division, Military Transition Team, pets a dog at the Ramadi, Fuel Distribution Center in Ramadi, Iraq, Dec. 4, 2007. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Chief Warrant Officer Brook R. Kelsey)