Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

Then here is a photo I found. From the marks on the sides of the photo this appears to have been cropped for publication somewhere. My guess is that this is Viet Nam era, but not sure.

Paul

post-2319-0-81583200-1413846776.jpg

• 4 months later...

Then here is a photo I found. From the marks on the sides of the photo this appears to have been cropped for publication somewhere. My guess is that this is Viet Nam era, but not sure.

What a gorgeous GSD!

Thanks, Paul.

vintageproductions

Here is one we used for the show postcard for the West Coast Historical Military Collectors show in Pomona last year

dogpc.jpg

Lt. Russell Lobdell (366th FS / 358th FG KIA 06/27/44) & Sabu :

TruckandSaboo.JPG

Source: http://creativefatcat.com/lobdell/truck.html

Credit: Gregory J. Hackenberg

Captain Allan W. Farlow and Sabu :

FarlowwithSaboo.JPG

Source: http://creativefatcat.com/lobdell/Farlow.html

Captain Kimball, Captain Schuster & Sabu :

Schuster.JPG

Source: http://creativefatcat.com/lobdell/Schuster.html

• 3 weeks later...

I can't imagine the rage that grunts would feel after one of their working dogs got capped in action. I'd sure feel pity for the first enemy they ran across immediately afterward!

• 1 month later...

The Irish Wolfhound of the 69th/165th Infantry NYNG St Patrick's Day 1956. as an aside, the liners worn by the GI in the background have the EM Cap Device on them, screwed through the front grommet without a doubt.

post-34986-0-42422800-1432005588.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

post-34986-0-34096700-1438051103.jpg

A photo taken around 1928 in NYC's Fort Jay (Governors Island) of 1st Sgt Geo Hickman 16th Infantry, 1st Division with the regimental mascot Rags. Hickman served for a long time when this picture was taken, to include the Great War. Of note is the wear of the DIs in the original position, above the collar discs, and the wear of the overseas cap, most uncommon at this date, Service Caps and Campaign Hats were the order of the day in them days.

post-34986-0-10246200-1438051388.jpg

A WWII 5th Air Force mascot, date and location unknown, by virtue of those overseas bars, it's late war, so could be in the PI or up in the Japan post V-J Day.

• 3 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

27th Infantry Regiment "Wolfhounds" - Hawaiian Division, Schofield Barracks, T.H. 1939

1939 Wolfhounds 02.JPG

Salvage Sailor

......actually, the Wolfhound may be laughing at them

But seriously, the photo is of Kolchak II, mascot of the regiment in 1939

The first mascot, a pure bred Russian Wolfhound, was presented to the regiment in 1929. He was named after Admiral Aleksandr Vassilyevich Kolchak, who fought the Bolsheviks during the regiments stay in Siberia. [it is said that Adm. Kolchak, after witnessing the regiment march over 1,000 miles over difficult ground in frigid Siberian temperatures in pursuit of the retreating Bolsheviks in the Siberia Campaign, alluded to the regiment having the endurance and tenacity of Wolfhounds.]
Sergeant John Martin -- who served with the regiment in both the Philippines and Siberia -- took charge and promised to have "Kolchak" at all gatherings of the regiment.
Wolfhounds were used in ancient times as hunting dogs in Russia. The Russian aristocracy later used them for coursing wolves and other game. They were imported into the United States in the late 1880's and given the name "Borzoi" in 1936. Kolchak, and his 10 successors are more than a mere mascot. They personify both the name, Wolfhounds, by which the 27th Infantry is known throughout the Army, and the tenacious and ferocious fighting nature of the regiment.

Kolchak II entered service in 1939. He was often found rooting on Wolfhound athletic teams and marched with the regiment in all ceremonies. The Cossack hat or Shaktoes, belt and boots worn by the color guard may have been designed to please Kolchak II as well as the spectators at ceremonies who approved of the colorful trappings of a colorful regiment.

The current mascot is Kolchak XI. Kolchak X retired to the care of his handler, Staff Sergeant White of the 1st Battalion Scouts.

It was tipically cossack to have black powder"cartridges" over the breast together the colbac hat., but that .50 cal. rounds are ridicolous. Much better avana cigar tubes.

post-67-0-51634000-1440056131.jpg

post-67-0-79922000-1440056194.jpg

doinworkinvans

CAnt believe I have missed this thread until now. Huge dog fan and lover. I have hundred of shots but I will share a few. Still have to find my favorite one of all time. Will share once I do.

Remember, when you're going to get a dog, adopt - dont shop!

This is Gen. Ira Eaker in England somewhere

dog1.jpg