Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

My dad w/ "Blackie" in Lyon, France, post-WW II (244th Engr Cbt Bn). Blackie was jointly owned by my dad and his buds, and was sort of a 1945 "chick-magnet" - or so dad says. Okay, there are several other pix w/ my dad, his buds, Blackie, and different women.

post-622-1198710860.jpg

One of our Security Forces dogs was sick and was brought into our hospital for x-rays. I believe they were worried that his stomach had flipped. He checked out ok, and was doing well.

post-203-1198797252.jpg

One of our Security Forces dogs was sick and was brought into our hospital for x-rays. I believe they were worried that his stomach had flipped. He checked out ok, and was doing well.

Wow, what a dramatic shot! Glad to hear the dog is all right. Thanks for sharing it with us.

He looks like a really nice GSD and I am glad he made it out ok.

Do you have another photo of him?

Erwin

I am glad you guys like the photo.

Here is an photo taken after the x-rays.

post-203-1198902121.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was one of our three compound dogs that kind of belonged to everyone. Her name was Fu**it and I have some pretty fond memories of her.

'A' Battery 2/71st ADA (Hawk) 38th Brigade, Korea 1972

Okay... I have to tell this story...

When I was a young 2nd Lieutenant serving with A Co 62nd Engineer at Fort Hood in the late 1970's, I really did have a high opinion of the troops in our unit. However once in awhile they did something that just made you wonder.

Very early one morning we had finished formation and everyone was breaking up to go to work.

For some reason there was an MP vehicle parked behind our orderly room. Clearly marked on the out side in 4 inch block letters were the words "K-9 Unit" with smaller words to the effect "Military Working Dog - Stay Away".

Most of the troops walked about 10 feet away from the car and went along their way. Sitting in the middle of the back seat was a very quiet, but very alert large and lean German Shephard.

You probably know where this story is going... one of the troops just had to walk closer to get a better look. He started from about 4 foot out, stopped and looked in. The dog didn't move a muscle. The GI moved another foot in, and the dog still didn't move. Finally the GI put his hand over his eyes to shade the light and leaned forward close enough to touch the glass of the vehicle.

The phrase "All hell then broke loose..." barely describes the following scene. The previously silent guardian of the MP vehicle came darn close to breaking through the glass to seize the intruder. The poor GI instinctively jumped back about 7 feet in one move and then just stood there frozen. The dog continued to demonstrate, and then satisfied that he had established dominance, went back to sitting at attention in the center of the vehicle. Of course you knew his eye was still on the offending soldier.

I was trying to contain myself, but I walked over to the still frozen GI and whispered "Walk straight backwards, keep your arms at your side and get out of here." I can accurately report that as one command that was obeyed to the letter! That was a learning experience for one soldier who never again trespassed on K-9 on duty!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...