Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

Here is another from my files. It was taken at the USAF Station at Goose Bay, Labrador in 1949.

Robert

Great pic, Robert! Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a Marine in the center? It looks like he may have an EGA on his pile cap?

Semper,

Ski

kyhistorian01
Great pic, Robert! Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a Marine in the center? It looks like he may have an EGA on his pile cap?

Semper,

Ski

Hi Ski

Actually looking with a magnafier at the original it looks like a 1st Lt bar so he is probably Air Force.

Robert

I need to look it up but I have a drawing of the gates of Ft Lewis from a newspaper, showing a pup (looked like a Jack Russel) standing there after WW1 was over with a very sad look at its face, wondering where all the people went. I swear it’d bring tears to your eyes, just thinking about something like that.

I was doing a CONUS TDY deployment once and our unit adopted a little brown lab pup that i guess got lost into the training area. We kept him around for the three weeks (my unit had medical folks who checked the little guy out). When the Brigade XO swung by for his "drive by face time" he declared we'd have to get rid of the little guy. I swear, he would've been lit up by a MG crew that spent the most time looking after him if they'd been carrying live ammo. I gave him a "I'll handle it sir" and sent the LTC on his way. One of my 63Ws wound up with the pup and we of course took him back to the post with us. soldiers always love pooches, I guess they know a doggy will like you no matter what you look or smell like in the field, what's not to love? :thumbsup:

I also recently read a blog posting that talked about a vet who got a dachshund home with him from the ETO along with several others. Apparently there was an effort for pooches to go back to the states!

morris11.jpg

I love this shot. You can see the smiles on the GI’s and the pup is showing the standard “Huh?” expression dogs always have. Classic!

kyhistorian01

Here is one I just found in a box. It appears to be late 1920s the early 1930s. The men are wearing the 37th Division patch and they have their mascot in front.

Robert

post-6492-1264212656.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great pictures y'all. Keep them coming! :thumbsup:

This little guy was rescued in Vietnam by Pfc. Paul Krustchinsky, USMC, Age - 21, Home - Houston, TX. The picture was taken on 04 Dec 67.

post-70-1269831532.jpg

• 1 month later...

Bien Hoa 1969

Scout Dogs at Bien Hoa Army side

post-12179-1275019189.jpg

This is Bear, even when his handler was present, you could not approach him

post-12179-1275019301.jpg

The dogs bunked out on Snoopy's flight line, appropriately called "The Doghouse"

post-12179-1275019412.jpg

Frank

October 1943, Hingham, Mass

Dad (holding Blackie) and buddy, both members of M Co. 181st Inf Reg., which was assigned/attached to the 1st Coast Artillery District, after being relieved from the 26th ID in 1942.

post-12179-1275195795.jpg

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

This is of Cpl. Sport side-by-side with his portrait. It is from a newspaper clipping that I got along with Cpl. Irvine's grouping. I am told the original drawing he did of Cpl. Sport may still be on display somewhere. I have to dig out the info though.

Some great photos here guys! I think I may have to do a photo op with my "War Dog"!

post-22-0-23829000-1400531303.jpg

Some great photos here guys! :thumbsup: I think I may have to do a photo op with my "War Dog"!

Gald you liked them! Looking forward to your photo op! :thumbsup: