Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

Here's our mascot we picked up on the fourth day of the war, Oreo. She survived multiple artillery/mortar attacks, two ambushes, and a SCUD attack!

She made it all the way to Baghdad and back to Kuwait. Last time I saw her, I was running on base and she tracked me down, kept up for a half mile, and ran back to her "compound".....

post-1867-1257377638.jpg

Aw, great pictures, everyone!

I'm an animal lover and I really enjoy seeing/hearing about the various animals and their roles, even though the stories are sometimes quite sad. Also very neat to see some of the WWI and early photos.

Check your local listings but on the Military Channel on Nov 15th at 9pm Central (repeating on the 16th at 12 am) is:

War Dogs of the Pacific

The story of the U.S. Marine war dog platoons of World War II. Filled with tales of devotion, bravery and sacrifice, follow the men and their dogs through training and into combat, from the invasion of Guam to operations on Saipan, Okinawa and Iwo Jima.

Troy

There are some great photos of members of the Army's 1920 New York to Nome, Alaska flight in Stan Cohen's book "The Alaska Flying Expedition" (Copyright 1998). I would post them here, but I am not sure of the legality of reproducing photos from a current book. Anyway, the citizens of Fairbanks Alaska presented the fliers with dogs as gifts, and there are some great photos of the dogs in the planes. It is a great book, and I would highly recommend it.

Levi

• 4 weeks later...

Keen nosed Marine war dog Dutch who alerted his handler of an approaching platoon of Japanese on Okinawa at 150 yards, an exceptional scent is shown with his handler. As a result of the dogs vigilance, the Marines seized two enemy machine guns and killed 20 Japanese. Both Dutch and his handler were also together during the battle of Peleliu. Okinawa - May 45

post-6524-1260672401.jpg

A Pfc tells his war dog Prince that the war is over and shows him the sign of their outfit trying to make the dog understand that he too will go home. The pair are vets of Peleliu and Okinawa. Okinawa - August 15, 1945

post-6524-1260672649.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
kyhistorian01

At the request of Gunbarrel I am adding this photo I recently posted under Latest finds. Its a nice WWI MP photo marked on the back as being taken in Chateauroux France 1918.

Robert

post-6492-1263257151.jpg

kyhistorian01

Here is one from my late cousin's photos. I don't know who the Air Force guy is but I know the photo was taken at Danang Air Base Vietnam in 1971

Robert

post-6492-1263343952.jpg