Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

O.K., Round 2. Picture No. 1 features a mascot of the US 8th Air Force in England.

very cool pics gunbarrel! note the pilot is wearing an anti-G suit.Pictures of these in use are pretty scarce.Is there date on the picture? it could possibly be a post May 1945 picture.

LOVE the ARC Clubmobile Captain with the dog wearing a jacket from an EMens shirt....with the 70th Infantry patch on.

Nice touch

Regards

LLoyd

post-87-1167635320.jpg

Sinbad, USCG

There is a book about the exploits of Sinbad. The Mascot of the USCGC Campbell. He was promoted to Chief but busted later for missing movement. He also liked his beer and had tabs in all the local bars in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Icleland. He would sit down and enjoy a brew and move on. The next sailor that came in afterwards paid his tab. He was aboard the Campbell when it rammed a U-boat. He retired later to spend his days a lighthouse some where

Erwin try to get the book "Dogs of war" by John M Behan....some great pics of Dogs with GI units in the ETO....

there is one called "Recall" riding the hood of a Jeep....with what looks very much like an Armored Unit recon/MG jeep in Germany and another that is accompanying the 104th "Timberwolves" into Golzbeim in Germany

only pic i know of is a 3rd Div "Marne" MP armed with a Model 12 shotgun guarding prisoners in France.

I say never say never...you try to keep my GSD out of the Jeep when i go to events she loves it

and if i was a serving GI and i found a GSD pup...it sure as hell would have come with me....so go figure...

Regards

Lloyd

Guys,

Thanks for posting those photos--they are excellent!

GB

PS I hope the Dobie made it, too... :unsure:

It's most likely a Marine unit...Dobermans were the dog of choice for WWII Marine War Dog teams. Kevin

Hi Kevin..FYI...the USMC started out with Dobermans donated by the Dogs Of America Trust....but actually in "combat" the Dobies were considered by some to be too "flinchy"...that is why later War Dog platoons took German Shepherds as they were considered more relaible and rugged than the Dobermans.

Regards

Lloyd

Fixbayonets!

I believe the Doberman in the photo is from a USMC unit. It comes from a set of photos that was put out by the Marine Corp.

Rob

Nothing can beat a GSD :lol:

I have seen a picture of an MP with his GSD somewhere in France or Germany somewhere, but haven't been able to locate it.

He was dressed in M41, probably HBT trousers and had a carbine.

Lloyd, I'll look for that book you mentioned. thanks.

Brandie loves riding along with my Jeep too (no, not a WWII type, a Cherokee ;) ).

Keep those pictures coming, I like them a lot. thumbsup.gif

post-87-1167635320.jpg

There is a book about the exploits of Sinbad. The Mascot of the USCGC Campbell. He was promoted to Chief but busted later for missing movement. He also liked his beer and had tabs in all the local bars in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Icleland. He would sit down and enjoy a brew and move on. The next sailor that came in afterwards paid his tab. He was aboard the Campbell when it rammed a U-boat. He retired later to spend his days a lighthouse some where

Coastie,

Great story! When I was a kid, my uncle gave us "Duke", a rather large Boxer. He did love his beer, but unfortunately, his limit was only one can. Any more than that and Duke just turned into a mean drunk!

Here are a couple more WWII USMC war dog shots. These photos came in an official USMC 50 photo set that was published directly after WWII. My mom had bought the set for my dad and then it was passed to me in the mid 1950s. Guess I could have taken better care of it.

Gary

First photo is the famous shot of the Dobie doing guard duty while her master gets some shut eye. Iwo Jima 1945.

post-84-1167900677.jpg