Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

Patches,

Some of the ones you posted are duplicates. If you go back to the beginning of the post, you will see them there.

Thank you.

Patches,

Some of the ones you posted are duplicates. If you go back to the beginning of the post, you will see them there.

Thank you.

Damn and I did check, used Coast Guard Key worn, oh well :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to get this great thread kick started again. I may have posted a couple of these in other forums but thought it would be good to also have them here. Please join in.

Men and dogs from the 4th Marine War Dog Platoon (attached to the 1st Marine Division on Peleliu)

post-3953-0-07699500-1465143829.jpg

Gotta love Sgt. Jiggs.

jiggs0003.jpg

9th Infantry Rgt. K9 unit on parade.

sss x.jpg

sss.jpg

Dobbie the Doberman wearing his 5th Army coat

dog 13 x.jpg

Air Base K9 Patrol

dog 29 x.jpg

dog 28 x.jpg

Last for today. Love this image.

dog b x.jpg

What unit is this? You said 9th Infantry but it looks like it says 60th on the guidon, plus the patches strangely look like 6th Army.

Another shot of "Dobbie" the doberman and other dogs/handlers from the 33rd Scout Dog Platoon upon returning home in November 1945.

dfga0003.jpg

• 1 month later...
USCapturephotos

I think I posted this one already awhile ago but if not, here is one of my favorites. This Marine is Cpl. Harold N. Flagg of Fairfield, Me. and his dog "Boy" on Okinawa. There is another photo of Cpl Flagg and Boy that you see commonly going around the net that is unidentified. It took me awhile to figure out who they were. This snapshot was found in a 1st Marine Division album that I have.

Paul

Notice Boy's bandaged wound? I think I remember reading that he was hit by shrapnel from a Japanese grenade.

post-100030-0-70405600-1470932467.jpg

USCapturephotos

Here are some copy photos of my friend, Henry Labombard, 88th MP co. (K9) with his dog Tanda in Vietnam (65-66). I have several other original photos of he and Tanda as well as some other odds and ends that Henry's wife gave to me. Sadly Henry is very, very sick now.

Paul

post-100030-0-74564300-1470932797.jpg

• 2 months later...

My Dad was initial cadre for the 744th Light Tank Bn and was with the unit as a MSG in the Service Company until their return to the US. While in England he bought a young Scottish terrier and took it to the continent via Utah Beach about 3 weeks after DDay. It was with him through the rest of the war and he managed to smuggle it back to the US on the troop ship. The dog was named Blackout and it was our family dog until it died in 1958. I have attached a picture of the dog which I believe was taken near Geleen in the Netherlands.

Someone in the unit made the dog a coat from a blanket or jacket. It has SGT stripes and a screw-on US pin on one side and the unit patch on the other. I have included a picture of the patch.

post-164064-0-97641500-1477866984.jpg

post-164064-0-76856000-1477867130.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Okay, where's Top at? I'm meeting a WAC poodle in ten minutes!"attenshun.jpg

"Sherioushly, fellash, I cahn't handles anuzzer drop... *hic*!"

dog in bar.jpg

"Yeah yeah yeah. Just let me in mister, or I'm bit you on the nose. It's cold out here!"

dog in field.jpg

attachicon.gifattenshun.jpg

"Okay, where's Top at? I'm meeting a WAC poodle in ten minutes!"

attachicon.gifdog in bar.jpg

"Sherioushly, fellash, I cahn't handles anuzzer drop... *hic*!"

attachicon.gifdog in field.jpg

"Yeah yeah yeah. Just let me in mister, or I'm bit you on the nose. It's cold out here!"

Please folks...no outside image hosting. The links become dead or are removed by the poster...then the thread can be rendered useless...just wasted effort.The long time members know better...if you need help figuring out how to accomplish this feat...by all means...contact me.

Manchu Warrior

This photo is from a group that I have of an 11B Big Red 1 vet in Vietnam. It says on the back, "a peaceful day in Vietnam April 15, 1966."

post-1412-0-74331400-1485973525.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...