Dogs and the Military

gunbarrel

Christine1958Fury

thanks! I also have a whole WW2 album of a USCG dog trainer loaded with photos of Navy & CG k9s being trained. Once I run across it will post some

This is "Sgt. Nero", a Nazi SS police dog that was captured during the closing of the Rurh Pocket by the 99th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mechanized), 99th Infantry Division. After some quick retraining involving a few good meals, Sgt. Nero became a working member of the Recon Troop for the remainder of the war and was responsible for capturing a few German POW's.

This photo was taken in Gerolzhofen, Germany where 99th Recon ended up after the war, guarding POW's at a nearby camp. The building in the background, a former Nazi youth camp, is the billets of the 99th Recon officers. The arm in the photo belongs to Sgt. Gerald Eickmeier, Sgt. Nero's trainer and companion.

I was told that when the last of the 99th Recon left Gerolzhofen they couldn't take Sgt. Nero with them, and he followed the train for miles before they finally lost sight of him.

post-63795-1322590997.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This looks like a great place to post this postcard picture of "Dandy" mascot of Co. A, 19th Inf, around 1910 while at Ft. Bliss, Texas.

post-2599-1327946990.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is "Trooper" a mascot with the "Horse Marines" Peiping, China, late 1930's. He is wearing a Chinese Order.

Dick

post-9487-1331753588.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

These pics are awsome guys thankks for showing them to us. Dogs have always played a big part in are fighting mens lives. My grandfather fell in love with german shepherds while overseas in ww2. And ever since he came home they have been part of are family. As i write this theres one beside me now and a couple at my dads home annd my in laws. So thanks guys for the pics its nice to see how the breed looked in those days.

Thanks again, everyone. I hadn't seem some of the latest posts. They are all great--keep them coming! :thumbsup:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -Josh Billings

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." -M.Facklam

"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate." -Sigmund Freud

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent additions, everyone. Thank you!

Here are a several photos of dogs from the War on Terror. They are from an article on Paw Nation titled "Inside Maria Goodavage's "Soldier Dogs"

http://www.pawnation.com/2012/04/08/inside...cid&photo=1

1. ADAM MILLER AND HIS MILITARY MUTT

"If this doesn't prepare you for Afghanistan, nothing will," says Air Force Technical Sergeant Adam Miller. In this photo, Miller carries his dog "Tina" to safety in 114-degree heat during a training

post-70-1334231283.jpg

2. ROBBY AND SERGEANT JAMES BAILEY

"He always had my back," says Air Force Staff Sergeant James Bailey of his first military working dog, Robby D131. He has since adopted Robby.

post-70-1334231426.jpg

3. FENJI AND HER DOGGLES

War hero Fenji needs to wear dog goggles to help with an eye problem, but she doesn't much care for them. When she's not working, she tries to take them off at every opportunity.

post-70-1334231527.jpg

4. LEX THE GUARD DOG

Lex L479 and his handler would go to sleep in the foxholes they shared while on patrol in Afghanistan. Soon after his handler fell asleep, the Belgian Malinois would crawl out from their tarp-covered foxhole and stand guard over him through the night, often in torrential rains.

post-70-1334231632.jpg

5. LARS: SMALL, BUT DEADLY

You don't have to be a big dog to be a soldier dog. Lars J274, a Jack Russell Terrier with a Napoleon complex, is the perfect size for sniffing out bombs. Here he is being lowered into a submarine.

post-70-1334231740.jpg

6. ARMY AJAX

Ajax L523 shows off his pearly whites after his handler, Air Force Staff Sergeant James Bailey, gave them a good brushing while on deployment.

post-70-1334231871.jpg

7. DAVY THE INDISCRIMINATING DOG

What's in a name? Ask Davy N532, a female dog whose name does not match her gender. Oddball names are not uncommon among military working dogs, whose breeders, usually from Europe, name them. "I trust her with my life. If I didn't trust her, I wouldn't be here," Army Staff Sergeant Marcus Bates says of his Belgian Malinois, Davy N532, during their deployment in Afghanistan.

post-70-1334231997.jpg