Fake plant vibration detector thing

Misanthropic_Gods

Misanthropic_Gods

I snagged this along with some riot armor at one of my favorite surplus stores in the chicago area, from what the small sign there said it seemed to be a vibration detecting fake plant that would be placed by the side of a trail or road, but I have absolutely NO idea. It was still heat sealed in the original bag and wrapped in bubble wrap.

Does anyone have any idea what it is and what it would be attached to? Your guess is as good as mine

Riotshield002.jpg

Riotshield003.jpg

Riotshield004.jpg

Riotshield005.jpg

the true color without the flash

Riotshield007.jpg

the bottom, it is threaded on the outside and has a small jack in the center

Riotshield006.jpg

This is an ADSID antenna Air Delivered Seismic Intrusion Detector used as part of Operation Igloo White Jan 68 to Feb 73.

I would say that the item was inspected and repackaged in 1986. The info on the package is for the package only.

http://home.att.net/~c.jeppeson/igloo_white.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Igloo_White

adsid.jpg

Khe_Sanh_Operation_Niagara_Sensor_d.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods
This is an ADSID antenna Air Delivered Seismic Intrusion Detector used as part of Operation Igloo White Jan 68 to Feb 73.

I would say that the item was inspected and repackaged in 1986. The info on the package is for the package only.

Sweet, I thought I read something somewhere about something resembling this used along the Ho Chi Minh trail...I wonder if it would be possible to find the rest of it :think: probably too expensive or too hard to find....its worth a shot though! Thanks for ID'ing it so quickly man

Anyone else have any more info, I dont think there could be too much more out there, Mr. X nailed it on the head from what it seems

But since it has a 00 in the stock number on the base, wouldn't that be at least in the mid 70s? I can't remember when they started using the 00 but wasn't it around 74?

Mike

Johnny Signor

Try looking thorugh books on USAF Special operations and the like, you could also try thr USAF Historical Research center out of Maxwell AFB for more info on the sensors too,I've seen a few photos here and there in books about the useage of these,they came to later find out that water buffalo and other animals would set them off so it was hard to determine what was "Charlie" and what was "4 legged" etc and the program was cancelled.

Misanthropic_Gods
Lee-Jackson Militaria has a complete one for sale (and parts as well).

http://www.ljmilitaria.com/geargeneral/equipment_.htm

Damn, thanks man...now to just fond out the price for just the base!

Try looking thorugh books on USAF Special operations and the like, you could also try thr USAF Historical Research center out of Maxwell AFB for more info on the sensors too,I've seen a few photos here and there in books about the useage of these,they came to later find out that water buffalo and other animals would set them off so it was hard to determine what was "Charlie" and what was "4 legged" etc and the program was cancelled.

Will do, I will see if i can find any more info on it than what i have and I will report back here!

• 9 years later...

Old thread, but I was recently able to obtain a base and antenna for a IGLOO WHITE Air Delivered Seismic Intrusion Detector (ADSID). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to score the internal electronics, but I am still happy that I was able to mock up the device!

81929149_460458754904521_715950402335408

And before anyone gets exited, the M2 carbine is a non-firing replica! :rolleyes:

Here is a pic of a similar one being deployed (same base, longer antenna)...

82185147_2848186431914720_57272339459850

Cheers! M2