"GI JOE" Prototypes

kanemono

Hi Pete, Thanks for the comment. I am sure you could make pieces like these. The main tools I used were a jewelers saw and files. I brazed and silver soldered the pieces together.You can make almost anything with those tools.

Dick

• 2 months later...

Here is a set of 54mm toy Buffalo Soldiers with Apache Scouts. The arms are pinned on so they move and the final "lead" soldiers were painted with glossy enamel paint. These are the bronze masters from which rubber molds would be made. These were made in a limited edition by John Gross for his toy company in the late 70's early 80's.

Dick

post-9487-0-81630100-1394551315.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is another favorite, a 1903 Springfield with detachable bayonet and a trench knife. The bayonet has a brass guard and a steel blade and the knife has a brass handle and a steel blade. Everything is 1/6, the rifle, bayonet and knife are all fabricated from a hundred or so individual pieces brazed or silver soldered together. If you click on the picture you can see the image larger and see m,ore detail.

Dick

post-9487-0-89684300-1407511832.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have been posting my GI Joe prototypes and small sculptures but I thought you might like to see a bigger piece of sculpture. This is a one and one-half life-size bronze sculpture of Chief Shikellamy who was an Iroquois sub Chief during the early 18th century. This sculpture is cast in bronze using the lost-wax technique. The other picture is the clay maquette and 1/6 scale bronze items I created to get an idea of what the sculpture would look like.The old bald guy is me.

Dick

post-9487-0-73400400-1413820997.jpg

post-9487-0-33208300-1413821009.jpg

Thank you all for the comments. I have done a number of large bronze sculptures but they are sports related and animals so not appropriate here.

Dick

• 1 month later...

Here is a cased miniature Colt Patterson revolver with all accessories. The Patterson grips and the handles on the accessories are ivory. This was created in 1984. The length of the pistol is 1 1/4".

Dick

post-9487-0-07398900-1416935311.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is a Luger artillery with a snail drum, stock, cleaning rod and tool. The barrel and trigger guard are slightly larger to allow for shrinkage. The stock and snail drum are removable and a regular magazine can be inserted. As before this is a 1/6th scale prototype produced for Cotswold Collectibles in 2000 and created from dozens of individually crafted brass pieces brazed and soldered together. I always thought this was a great rig!

Dick

post-9487-0-67297000-1420321107.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a prototype of the 'o3 Springfield Sniper Rifle. This is one of my embarrassing mistakes. The sniper scope is wrong. When I created this piece I used a picture from the American Rifleman as a reference. The problem was that this was a scope that was tried but never used. I was called to task at the GI Joe Convention in Washington DC. All I could say was "sorry" I made a dumb mistake. The interesting thing was that only one person spotted the mistake and he collected sniper rifles.

Dick

You shoulda told that picker of nits that it was a model of the rifle they tried that scope on, before deciding not to use it.

And yeah, if you took all those coins out of the pictures, you'd think you robbed a museum.

Here is one of my favorite miniatures.. This piece was produced in resin.

Dick

post-9487-0-15226900-1398797463.jpg

Does it have the little oiler inside the pistol grip?

The oiler was in the grip, The stock slid in and out, the magazine was removable and the door opened. Since I made all of the pieces individually in brass it was just as easy to make them work as not work. The resin reproductions were solid. Here is the resin production piece.

Dick

post-9487-0-45018300-1421680140.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is a PPK that I made rot Cotswold in the 1990's. The magazine is removable. As with the other pieces it is fabricated from many individual pieces. Sorry the photo isn't better but digital photography was pretty lo-res then.

Dick

post-9487-0-56713500-1425657062.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here is another twenty year old miniature that I created for Cotswold. This went with their SS figure. The lighter coin were brought back by my uncle as a souvenirs of WW2.

Dick

post-9487-0-19912600-1441385725.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Truly outstanding work, sir. I own several of the Cotswold Collectibles figures and can now see why that company's figures have such detailed weapons and equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...