COMBAT!

tractor

Altmans work is some of the best of the show. His was gritty and focused on the characters more. Between Altman and Morrow they were the best I think

I think he also did some of the Gallant Men series too. I gave my daughter Altman's bio for Christmas so I'll have to ask the expert there. ;)

I am also a huge fan of the show but don't have a favorite episode but favorite scenes in many episodes. Sgt Saunders was my first choice for a name but you had it already

Yes I remeber Combat fondly from my childhood in the mid 1960's . Another short lived goody from that period was Rat Patrol, maybe not of the quality as Combat but still entertaining. Oh and while I am thinking of it "tell Little John to bring up the BAR"

I am also a huge fan of the show but don't have a favorite episode but favorite scenes in many episodes. Sgt Saunders was my first choice for a name but you had it already

You should have took Kirby. Jack Hogan was realy the best actor on the series. I think he is still with us, and so is Cage too. Were those taken Too?

I actually liked Tom Lowells character Billy the most who was like a son to Little John. I know Lowell Thomas who is Tom Lowells real name still is teaching at Fresno State

Combat! I'm a baby boomer, I remember playing with the other kids on the block, (we had lots of woods up in Washington State) everybody wanted to be Sgt. Saunders or Kirby, I know I had a Combat game, and I'm pretty sure I had a Sgt. Saunders Mattel tommy gun, helmet and grenade, and using pine cones soaked in water as reserve hand grenades, OUCH! :w00t:

And of course, it influenced me in the interest of the military and collecting to this day.

http://www.jeffs60s.com/armytoys.html

Ditto ! We did the EXACT-SAME-THING when I was a kid !! In fact, just about all the Dads on the block were WWII veterans back then and we all would pin our Dad's chevrons onto our shirts to play "Combat" around the neighborhood. There were plenty of empty lots, ditches, trees, and picnic tables we turned into battlegrounds, bunkers, pillboxes, tanks, etc, etc. We had no actual Germans to fight...they were all imaginary. I even had my Combat lunch box for school too !! Although, I have to admit I would alternate sometimes with my "Lost In Space" one...what did I know !?!

I loved to sit and watch Combat with my Dad since he was a WWII veteran. I vividly remember one time while we were watching an episode I looked up at him and asked, "Is that what it was like Dad?" And he said, "Are you kidding? If we did what they did, we'd be dead...but its fun to watch !"

Man-o-man...I loved watching Combat with him !!

Vic

19leatherneck68

Watched it intensely as a kid and it sort of guided me toward a tour in the Marines and I am still trying to figure that connection. I have not seen it since the mid 60’s but I sure recognize the characters.

I vaguely remember "Blue Light",... wasn't there a good looking blonde that wore a beret??

Seems I recall something called "Garrison's Guerrillas" also that was WWII related....then there was "The Silent Service" that opened with a chorus of men singing about the deep blue sea while the camera shot was through a subs periscope as it submerged.

Greg

You can add me to the list of watchers when it aired as well. Used to watch it with my Dad who was also a WWII ETO Combat Vet. If you like Vic Morrow be sure to rent a copy of Blackboard Jungle where he plays a great role as a gang leader. Sidney Portier is great in that one as well. Shame how Vic Morrow died in a tragic accident filming the Twilight Zone movie.

dogfacedsoldier

Hey,

I love Combat, watched it, the The Gallent Men and Twelve O'Clock High when I was a kid. It didn't care much for the comedies. Supposedly Vic was given the real Thompson on a plaque for his wall, after it was demilled, and that is what they happened to it. Jason also kept his carbine. He said he gave it to Charlie Callas in the 70's. I used to reenact with a guy who has Steve Mcqueen's BAR from The Sand Pebbles. Jason's wife has all the remaining copies of his book, and a couple of years ago, if you bought all of the DVD's at once you got a copy of the book. Of course the book is online also. The Combat companion book is availiable at the site, and can be purchased to view online.

Jon

count me in as a big fan as well! Loved it as a kid and still enjoy it today. Sure, the equpment and uniforms may not be perfect for the reenactor perfectionists, but it sure looked better (and still does) than most other military-themed tv shows.

I was also a huge fan and remember watching this with Dad. We never missed an episode of Twelve o'clock high either. At the time they were being re-run on encore, I was working second shift so I got to see the squad every day!

On the equipment note that The Meatcan mentioned, I thought I remembered a comment in one (or more) of the commentary's about the use of the Marine Corps Helmet cover (Sgt. Saunders) and the Marine Corps Camo trousers that Braddock wore. Apparently, there was a scene cut from the production that showed these guys either playing cards with or trading uniform items with the Marines. Seeing that all of the episodes deal with D-Day and after, it makes sense that this was cut.

There is one reference where Braddock is getting chewed out by a hard-nosed colonel for "looking like a marine".

I was also a huge fan and remember watching this with Dad. We never missed an episode of Twelve o'clock high either. At the time they were being re-run on encore, I was working second shift so I got to see the squad every day!

On the equipment note that The Meatcan mentioned, I thought I remembered a comment in one (or more) of the commentary's about the use of the Marine Corps Helmet cover (Sgt. Saunders) and the Marine Corps Camo trousers that Braddock wore. Apparently, there was a scene cut from the production that showed these guys either playing cards with or trading uniform items with the Marines. Seeing that all of the episodes deal with D-Day and after, it makes sense that this was cut.

There is one reference where Braddock is getting chewed out by a hard-nosed colonel for "looking like a marine".

Saunder's helmet cover is actually a piece of WWII parachute - It was added after the first few episodes to make Saunders stand out from the rest of the squad - As far as Braddock's trousers, I'll have to look again to see for sure if they are USMC trousers or WWII US Army camo trousers. Can't remember off hand. During the summer of 1944 the US Army issued camouflage trousers to select units in, mostly in the 2nd Armored Division, but they could have theoretically been traded to soldiers in other units - at any rate, the wardrobe guys on Combat! may have simply been trying to recreate the look of a US soldier in France with Army camouflage trousers and perhaps all they had were the WWII P44 USMC type. My point is, I don't think there was a conscious effort by the producers of the show to make Braddock look like a marine.

Best to all!

Bill K.

Is it just me or is there a really common theme here (and yes count me in). If we did a forum poll...would we find that the Combat experience is a root cause of sorts for this very forum?

Proud former owner of a Marx M1 garand, grease gun MG and a Dad who outfitted us with a squads worth AB uniforms...........although thoughts of that 50 cal with the pulsating muzzle flame makes my head spin.

john

• 2 weeks later...
Is it just me or is there a really common theme here (and yes count me in). If we did a forum poll...would we find that the Combat experience is a root cause of sorts for this very forum?

Proud former owner of a Marx M1 garand, grease gun MG and a Dad who outfitted us with a squads worth AB uniforms...........although thoughts of that 50 cal with the pulsating muzzle flame makes my head spin.

john

What would lend you to think that............. :think:

• 8 months later...

I remember this show me and my brother had to fight with are sister to watch it she all way's tried to control the TV brings back memories when I was a kid.

Kirby all the way! BAR!

Have the complete series, watched all 152 episodes in like under 30 days!

I must say it was great seeing all the old stars making guest appearances however man I hated those episodes when they had French kids helping them or causing problems.

Hills are for Heroes was one of the best dramatic episodes I can remember.

Kirby all the way! BAR!

Have the complete series, watched all 152 episodes in like under 30 days!

I must say it was great seeing all the old stars making guest appearances however man I hated those episodes when they had French kids helping them or causing problems.

Hills are for Heroes was one of the best dramatic episodes I can remember.

I agree although the episode when Little John is captured by French kids, i believe it was titled "Gulliver" was great as their home was filled with German and US souvenirs!!!.....mike

I agree although the episode when Little John is captured by French kids, i believe it was titled "Gulliver" was great as their home was filled with German and US souvenirs!!!.....mike

Ya I was going to mention that episode was the only exception, most of that german gear looked authentic too!

In TV and movies, the various characters/actors are given DIFFERENT headgear and items of clothing to set them apart and make them readily identifiable. NON-uniformity is the desired effect. Never mind what would be authentic and what would not. They also carry different weapons for the same reason. It would have been authentic for everybody in Saunders' squad, plus LT Rick Jason to carry/use M-1 rifles. The stars usually get to have the "coolest" hat, coat, gun, and lesser lights get the mundane, less cool stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed watching "Combat" when I lived in NJ. Was on Tuesday nights. I found out the guy next door was watching it also. Joe was with the 704th TD unit from day one. I was just out of the Navy in 1963. So I would go over to his house and watch Combat with a real WWII combat vet. He would say things like" that not what would happen" He told me some great stories. I found a book about history of the 704th TD and bought it. I had tears in my eyes when I read about a LT telling the top sarge to put these men in for a medal. There was Joe S. name! I called him and told him about it. Said he remembered the day. Said e took out 3 tanks but never got a medal for it.

john

John,

Check this out. This is the gun except mine was all black.

Greg