? about grandfather's medallion

alarmadillo

Passed down from my grandafather, I have a medallion which I seek more information on, if possible.

My grandfather was in the US Navy during WWI, and I understand that he served aboard a ship which returned wounded AEF servicemen to the US, from Europe.

The medallion itself appears to have been a French coin, 17mm in diameter, which was shaved flat on the reverse. A suspension ring, now broken, was also soldered on the edge. Engraved upon the smooth reverse, are the following words:

Leloloi (?) From

Uncle harry

A.E.F

France

I hope that my pictures are adequate (and that I'm successful in adding them!).

I have been anxious to show this medallion to the experts here, and I would very greatly appreciate any comments, or information on this peice. I'm stumped, by the words "Leloloi" (perhaps misread?), and the "Uncle harry".

My guess, is that he received this from a soldier being returned home on his ship. Needless to say, it's a treasured heirloom that will stay in the family.

Thnks for any and all comment

-Robbie

post-8528-1263855861.jpg

I can't believe that that worked!

The steel penny in the first picture is for size comparison.

Thank you!

To me, it looks like the engraving says

"Zelda Fiona" on the top line.

Based on the size and the "Uncle Harry" also on the back side, that this small French coin was done for a charm bracelet.

Perhaps you had a relative named Zelda? The name wasn't that uncommon around the turn of the century.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Allan

Thanks for the input, guys.

I hadn't even considered it being made for a charm bracelet, but that does make a lot of sense.

The second word is definitely "From", and the first word could very well be a name.

There's nobody in the family from that period named either Leloloi or Zelda. He married my grandmom in the 1920s; maybe it was made for a girlfriend?

I'll probably never find out the real story behind it, but it's a neat trinket never the less, being from him, dated, and having "AEF France" engraved on it.

Thanks again; I really appreciate you guys taking the time to comment on it.

Regards,

Robbie