WASP wing bracelet find

pfrost

Well, Bullwinkle...I noted the mark variation. And to me the overall finish of it is too much like the flood of current cast copies, but based on the comparison with the wing on Bob's site, it appears that the original had a satin finish where the fantasy piece doesn't. :think:

However, once again the shame of it is that the fantasy piece is headed to a new owner in exchange for his $430 (and don't forget that an underbidder was willing to part with $425 for this bit of flim-flammery) and the seller represented that it is, "Guaranteed Original Authentic World War Two pilot wings" thereby putting something on display about himself. I suppose it's just a simple fact that a fool and his money are soon parted, and a certain amount of education can flow from that, albeit at a pretty dear price.

The comparison below clearly shows the obverse difference you mentioned..

Here is another one. Sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago. If I remember right it went for about $366.

post-12439-1291220801.jpg

• 1 year later...

Well with the flood of fakes on this wing, it was sure nice to actually see

a real one sell on ebay.

Closed for $777.00

Best, John

post-12439-1322868247.jpg

• 7 months later...
Thats a good example for newer collectors to study and remember, Thank you.

You guys should post the fakes in the fake thread and maybe explain what you see that make them fake?

Patrick

You guys should post the fakes in the fake thread and maybe explain what you see that make them fake?

Patrick

Well, I did that once on a different item, and was told to place the thread here, since the item was currently on ebay and would have a greater chance of getting discussed.

As for what makes it bad, one cannot improve on Cliff's discussion above.

Best, John

But this thread isn't pinned and will quickly be buried.

We should just have pinned thread "Smart and useful stuff Cliff says!" :thumbsup:

John Cooper

We should just have pinned thread "Smart and useful stuff Cliff says!" :thumbsup:

I agree the little gems of technical info are important but too many pinned threads creates its own issues. I think the search function is the tool to use so not matter how deep it is buried someone searching will find it easy enough.

Cheers

John

Looks like more folks need to read Cliff's threads, the wing had 12 bidders and sold for $480...

JF

John Cooper
Looks like more folks need to read Cliff's threads, the wing had 12 bidders and sold for $480...

JF

OUCH!