Cut Down Cavalry Boots?

bfryar44

I'm pretty sure these are cut down from the lace up tall Cavalry boots seen worn in the 1930's. They have been resoled with rubber soles rather than the leather soles they came with from the factory. I cleaned them up and added the leather laces.

Opinions?

TIA.

Bryan

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

No, I don't think so. My pair is packed away, but I checked again in Randy Steffan's "The Horse Soldier 1776-1943" and verified what I thought. The originals had toe caps and starting around the ankle had speed lacing "hooks" on the outside (away from the horse). The boots illustrated don't have the toe caps or the speed lacing hooks.

Tom Bowers

Thanks Tom,

I went back and checked my references and you are absolutely right, they aren't cut down Cavalry boots.

I wonder if they are some type of private purchase boots? I bought them at a local estate sale which had a lot of WW2 US Army Officer's items. Many of the items were private purchase stuff.

A mystery for sure.

Bryan

Bryan-

cool boots, nice cat's paw soles, some of which are pretty desirable in the vintage market. what is really unusual is the exposed stitching on the welt, very unusual for US boots of the period.

woody