2nd Lt. ETO Helmet

bfryar44

Picked this one up at an estate sale last weekend along with a few other helmets.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=64006

This fixed bail is definately an ETO helmet with the rear follow me officer's white stripe. Also looks like he used his helmet to cook in, note the black discoloration on the top exterior. Unfortunately not identified but definately a keeper! :)

Enjoy!

Bryan

IMG_1274.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

Small holes in the front of the helmet for the Lt. bars.

IMG_1279.jpg

Food or soap residue?

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Helmet liner has a thick coating of varnish. Most likely done after the end of hostilities for formations, parades, etc..

IMG_1277.jpg

I agree......keeper :thumbsup:

Nice to see how the rank was attached.Have seen this before but not real common to see the helmet drilled in my opinion.Seen the liners drilled but the shells tend to be welded.Just a great piece.

RON

This is another helmet from the estate sale last weekend. What I really like about this fixed bail (beside the price) is the dark OD factory chinstraps. Been looking for one of those for a few years now. Note how the Lt. rank was made from medical tape and also how the 2nd Lt. gold bar was painted over with silver paint on the steel pot. Must have been promoted.

Enjoy!

Bryan

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

Note the Rayon nape strap. The leather chinstrap was broken so I demporarily attached it with masking tape.

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

This is another helmet I picked up last weekend at an estate sale. This one is near mint and is complete minus a nape strap. Looks like it might have been worn once or twice.

Enjoy!

Bryan

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

This is liner I piner that I picked up there too. It is complete however the leather chinstrap has become petrified and I don't dare move it. :lol:

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

Nice one. What is the heat stamp on this one????

Steve

Steve,

The heat stamp on the McCord fixed bail with dark OD chinstraps is "181B" and the chinstraps have steel flat chinstrap buckles. All bartacking thread is dark OD with the exception of the bartacking for the J hook, one side is light OD and the other side is dark OD.

Bryan

Simply awesome helmets.

I really love them.

I have never seen a 2LT bar fixed in such a way. I'd only seem them welded before.

Bryan-

where to start? they are all super. do you think the black stencil number on the mint one is a serial number or some manufacturer stamp?

woody