Air Corps Nurse - Lt. Jane Pajak

USMCR79

Lt. Jane Pajak was my great aunt.

I asked her once what was the most significant thing that she did during her service and she told me that she was in charge of the final physicals given to the crew of the Enola Gay (B-29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima in August 1945 that ended WWII). She also organized a going-away party for the crew also before they were shipped to Guam.

About 7 years ago I met Col. Paul Tibbits (pilot of the Enola Gay) at the Warbirds museum in Kissimmee. I mentioned Aunt Jane and Wendover and they remembered “Miss Pajak”.

Bill

post-248-1182281735.jpg

CNY Militaria

Very interesting! Its neat that someone so close to the family was right there as very publicized history unfolded!

Dave,

I have her uniforms.

PS they could call me "Disney Bill" since I had 14 years there.

Bill

General Apathy

Bill, thanks for the very interesting photo of your aunt in uniform, could you please confirm what the background color is of the USAAF shoulder patch that she is wearing, from the photo it doesn't appear to be the standard light blue background ???

Cheers ( Lewis )

Bill, thanks for the very interesting photo of your aunt in uniform, could you please confirm what the background color is of the USAAF shoulder patch that she is wearing, from the photo it doesn't appear to be the standard light blue background ???

Cheers ( Lewis )

Lewis

Here is The Patch

Bill

post-248-1182367226.jpg

Bill - glad to hear the uniform stayed in the family. I worked for the mouse for one year (1987-1988) in World Showcase.

General Apathy

Bill, thanks for showing the patch, I just found it funny that it didn't appear so blue in the photograph, if you look at the background and then look at the color of the shirt collar it does not look that blue.

Having said that 10.15 tomorrow morning I am having an eye test, maybe a brain test would have been better.

Cheers ( Lewis )

P.s. I like the style of your aunts frameless glasses, I might go for that style after the test

Bill, thanks for showing the patch, I just found it funny that it didn't appear so blue in the photograph, if you look at the background and then look at the color of the shirt collar it does not look that blue.

Having said that 10.15 tomorrow morning I am having an eye test, maybe a brain test would have been better.

Cheers ( Lewis )

P.s. I like the style of your aunts frameless glasses, I might go for that style after the test

Actually this style would be more appropriate. :rolleyes:

Steve

post-415-1182568949.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great looking photo! I have not seen too many of these Nurse photo's, it's a shame. I have a killer WWII custom made 2nd Lt. "Ike" style jacket. We ought to start a thread on WWII nurses, if on has not already been started. Thanks for sharing!!

Chris

• 4 months later...
That's a great looking photo! I have not seen too many of these Nurse photo's, it's a shame. I have a killer WWII custom made 2nd Lt. "Ike" style jacket. We ought to start a thread on WWII nurses, if on has not already been started. Thanks for sharing!!

Chris

I am all for that. I have currently entered into a book deal regarding Aeromedical and Flight Nursing. Any pictures that have aeromedical related conotations would be greatly appreciated. Of course your pictures if used would be credited in the book.

Love that picture of your aunt Bill. Any idea when this was taken?

@Flightmedic: I'm sure several members of this board are willing to help you out with pictures.

There are some great collections to be observed here.

Here are a few Flight Nurses:

post-272-1195999110.jpg

post-272-1195999135.jpg

Source: www.blitzkriegbaby.de

Best regards

Sofie

September 1943......My family was originally from Chicopee, Mass. (pre Westover AFB). At the time my Aunt was a nurse with the Public Health Department (City of Chicopee).

Bill

Love that picture of your aunt Bill. Any idea when this was taken?

@Flightmedic: I'm sure several members of this board are willing to help you out with pictures.

There are some great collections to be observed here.

Here are a few Flight Nurses:

post-272-1195999110.jpg

post-272-1195999135.jpg

Source: www.blitzkriegbaby.de

Best regards

Sofie