Sign in to follow this  
cbuehler

WW2 navy CPO hats

Does anyone know when the Navy changed to a black badge backing tab for the CPO visor hat? I know that at least during early ww2 the hat still did not have this and the CPO badge was pinned directly on the front of the cover. Thanks!

CB

I am sure there are others that can put an actual date on this but, to my knowledge, the backer did not come into effect till the later part of the 40's - definitely postwar.

Tom

Keep in mind the log of my being wrong is 2" thick and I am on Volume #4!

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

WWII APS

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

I am sure there are others that can put an actual date on this but, to my knowledge, the backer did not come into effect till the later part of the 40's - definitely postwar.

Tom

Keep in mind the log of my being wrong is 2" thick and I am on Volume #4!

Calls for the "backing" in the USN uniform regulations of 1947.

Here's a great web site showing the "history" of the USN Chief Petty Officer hat devices: http://www.quarterdeck.org/uniforms/CPO_Ha.../HatDevices.htm

Book Link: U.S. Navy Tailor-Made Dress Blues, Liberty Cuffs, and Sailor Folk Art

Wanted: USN Liberty Cuffs, vintage bullion rating badges, pre-1914 rating badges and vintage USN Police style Badges.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif