WIA Paramarine Grouping

mes

Hi Kurt I'm afraid it would be a short show on my part I only have a couple of small groups left. Maybe we can raidergson and camopara bring out some of their groups and I 'd be more than willing to look at any more from people that would like to join in. Mark

I think the word we are looking for is humbled to say the least. That is a lot of little parachutes. Camopara do you happen to have anything related to a Paramarine by the name of Charles J. Brinkman. If not that's ok, The uniform group I own belonged to him, and would really like to find pictures that might have him and some of his buddies in it. BTW again great group. Chris

I'll just tie some of the small items to this thread. Snowing today, so no uniform shots...

First up is a knife. Typical of what was produced on New Caledonia, with the stag handle. Has the initials JHK. His uniform slipped by me but I think I know where it is...he was wounded on Iwo with the 26th...

DSC03561.jpg

DSC03562.jpg

DSC03565.jpg

Great stuff! The stag handle knife with the wings engraved is really cool.I think someplace in a book I may have I seen a photo of Robert Neff. The name seems familiar. In the wia group is that an aussie made patch? Great items Love looking at this stuff Thanks for posting. Mark

I posted this earlier but I thought I move it into this thread. James Gatton was with A/1 paramarines and was kia on iwo with the 26th marines where he was award the Silver Star and purple heart

100_0946.jpg

100_0947.jpg

100_0948.jpg

100_0955.jpg

100_0952.jpg

100_0951.jpg

100_0958.jpg

100_0959.jpg

Mark,

Yes, it is a Aussie JJ Cash produced patch.

Kurt,

Wet snow today so I'll have to wait for a better day...I might repost some that I posted last year..I think I still have the photos on my thumb drive. Here's a jumper from the Cities for ya....he was on Bougainvill, Vella Lavella, and Iwo. Never got a PH so he was one of the few lucky ones! Unfortunately his records were checked out of NARA and never returned.

DSC03568.jpg

DSC03569.jpg

If I can join in I would like to add:

MSgt James M.P. O'Sullivan - Joined the Marine Corps in 1938 and served with the Marine Detachment on the USS Phoenix until 2/28/41 when he joined MB NAS Lakehurst NJ. He was rated a Parachutist on 3/19/41. He was assigned to "Special Troops 1st Marine Division attached to 1st Marine Aircraft Wing" until the unit was designated Co. B 1st Parachute Bn. FMF. He was transferred to the Parachute School as an instructor on 6/15/42. By 1943 he was a Platoon Sgt. with the Co. C 4th Parachute Bn. FMF. He served with the 7th Field Depot for the rest of the war. During the early months of the Korean War he was a MSgt with Weapons Company, 1st Bn. 5th Marines where he was WIA September 25, 1950. He retired on April 1, 1953 and passed away in October 1979.

post-248-1265594480.jpg

post-248-1265594489.jpg

USMCR79 Welcome aboard! Super grouping. The guy has a great mustasche.Thanks for showing it.I have a group to a guy who served with Weapons co. 1st bat 5th in Korea who got a Silver Star on Dec6th 1950 Mark

Here's a nice uniform and photo group. I forgot to look at his paperwork this morning, so I can't really remember his story. When this group first showed up his name was not on the PM roster, but original paperwork in the group shows that he went through jump school in San Diego. He never did any time with the BNs for I think he had a little trouble with the bottle, if memory serves me correctly. He did make a couple of campaigns with the 2nd MarDiv.

Syverson1.jpg

Leif Really cool group. I wonder how complete the paramarine roster is? Have you found many paramarines not in the roster? I have a group guy who was in the 13th marines on iwo with a jump wing bracelet named to him but he isn't in the roster either. Mark

Mark,

I would estimate the roster to be about 95% plus complete. I would imagine most rosters made years later have got to be missing someone. The best thing is to get the bracelet researched and see what come back...it's saved my bacon many times, and it helped me thin things out. I'd love to see a picture of the bracelet!

Leif Here is the bracelet it engraved on the back to Chuck Hauch this came with a paramarine patch a photo of him and some reunion stuff Ifound him in the 5th division unit history with the 13th marines

100_1009-2.jpg

100_1010-1.jpg

100_1010.jpg

Here is some photos of some paramarines

Arnold Kollars C/1 Gavutu 26th marines Wia on Iwo Jima

100_1014.jpg

Donald R. Cureton with his wife C/1 Gavutu 26th marines Wia on Iwo Jima these two guys are cousins both prewar marines and joined together and fought together

100_1015.jpg

Normally, the uniforms that are found to PMs are of the dress variety, their combat used items seem few and far between.

Here's an M41 to a PM that served with the 5th on Iwo..

jbradley1.jpg

jbradley2.jpg