Your Favourite WW2 Aircraft

2ad82recon

For me it has always been the B-17.....all models. It just looks like a bomber should. Add the nose art and names the crews gave them and they come alive. Movies like AIR FORCE and 12 O' Clock High just add to this planes popularity. There are so many books on this plane and crew stories that there is always new to read and learn.

As for fighters it is a toss up between the P-39 and P-40. I have been reading about the early war in the PTO and the role these planes played in those desperate days. I have the greatest respect for the men who fought the Japanese in these planes. They also have great lines.

Steve

post-5349-0-92445000-1360459981.jpg

Lightning Ace

My favorite was the P-38 Lightning because of its looks, its sound, its versatility and it was also voted the most Romantic Fighter of WW II and after getting to ride in a P-38 I can see why.

One that I cant believe no one said on here P-38 lightning!!!!! How can you NOT like something that the Germans referred to as "The Fork Tailed Devil"!!!! But the Germans did have the Folk Wulf 190 which was a beautiful plane considering the Germans made it. And the all too forgotten Italian Macchi c.205 Veltro was an absolutely beautiful plane.

Copy that, on the P-38 Lightning. Coolest looking plane. After that I like B-25 Mitchell.

LOL, I was thinking about that, as I was typing the post...

Well, I am lucky enough to fly both, but the B-25 is my favorite.

Actually, the nicest flying airplane I have ever flown.

Best, John

I once knew a vet (who had served in the RCAF/RAF as a Yank volunteer, operationally flying Tomahawks, Hurricanes, and Typhoons, before repatriating into the 4th FG on P-51s). He was recalled to active duty during the Berlin Airlift and was transitioned to multi-engined types for that purpose. He said that his favorite of all was the TB-25J Mitchell -- sweetest flying, docile, obedient, reliable, yet to a degree maneuverable and speedy. The C-47 was a "pussycat" with similar good flying qualities, but nothing "jazzy", in his words.

The WORST was the Typhoon BTW, and he loved the Spitfire, which he flew in training and "any time I could mooch a ride".

After V-E he flew a Bf 109 and an FW 190D-9, and said the Messerschmitt was "for nuts, a widowmaker" and the FW was "sort of like the Mustang, but designed by the competition, so very different".

I once knew a vet (who had served in the RCAF/RAF as a Yank volunteer, operationally flying Tomahawks, Hurricanes, and Typhoons, before repatriating into the 4th FG on P-51s). He was recalled to active duty during the Berlin Airlift and was transitioned to multi-engined types for that purpose. He said that his favorite of all was the TB-25J Mitchell -- sweetest flying, docile, obedient, reliable, yet to a degree maneuverable and speedy. The C-47 was a "pussycat" with similar good flying qualities, but nothing "jazzy", in his words.

The WORST was the Typhoon BTW, and he loved the Spitfire, which he flew in training and "any time I could mooch a ride".

After V-E he flew a Bf 109 and an FW 190D-9, and said the Messerschmitt was "for nuts, a widowmaker" and the FW was "sort of like the Mustang, but designed by the competition, so very different".

I have heard the same from many vets, over the years.

I am amazed how many of them have flown a wide variety of aircraft, both fighters and bombers,

including the B25, say it was their favorite.

Best, John

post-12439-0-91738900-1361745921.jpg

• 10 years later...
Vahe Demirjian

My favorite US aircraft from WW2 is the P-51, but also the B-17, SBD, B-29, and C-47.

Photos taken by me of several P-51s at the Planes of Fame Museum last month:

IMG_178916518.jpg.a0673a920232b5a36310059e1c2ca422.jpgIMG_179016519.jpg.38b40a64cd2171d6b1ba8e3803632598.jpgIMG_179116520.jpg.2a3c97b6ad7cc159a084f189bedaa500.jpgIMG_179416523.jpg.345072dc9d5aa147829a890defba0e70.jpg

Photos taken by me of the B-29 "Doc" at a special event outside the Yanks Air Museum in September 2021:

B-29Doc.jpg.1d9f951897193c3d3a284fa0af404fda.jpgB-29Docclose-upview.jpg.ba29799b28a9a43d89c468f2e245e5e0.jpg

MinutemanEMTer

For me it would have to be the P-40. Loved that one since I was a kid.