help on a movie name

snafu100

I remember seeing a movie about a modern day aircraft carrier that goes back in time to WWII but cannot remember the title -- anyone ???? :think:

I believe its from 1979. There is a great scene, a dogfight between F 14 Tomcats and Japanese Zeros. Thats not a killer action sequence, but its still funny!

Michael

Kirk Douglas plays the skipper,and, if I remember correctly, Martin Sheen plays one of the larger roles as well. Not a bad movie, but a much better novel back in the day.

I loved that movie!!!!!....the F-14s had the skull and cross bones on the tail fins, if I remember correctly.....I made a model of the plane and painted it up just like the movie way back then!....mike

I love that movie. Before I swore off TV I would watch it every time it came on (normally around Dec. 7) and just couldn't leave until it was over. This was the era just before the Navy switched to lo viz haze gray markings on its aircraft, and the full color markings are just phenomenal! The Tomcats are VF-84 (the Jolly Rogers). The plot line is a little hokey, but what history nut hasn't wanted to go back and be there at a crucial time in the past. Kirk Douglas is the skipper Martin sheen is an industry rep, Charles Durning (actual WWII vet) is a senator.There are even a bunch of actual Sailors and Marines aboard the Nimitz who have speaking parts. I would recomend renting it since some stations chop it to bits. Break out the popcorn!

Tom Bowers

I'm with Tom on this one.

Imagine the Skippers dilemma. You know where the Japanese task force is, you have them outgunned, and can destroy them and save all those American lives. BUT you change history.

It's a fun movie for sure.

Lightning Ace

I didn't like the ending and thought the movie should have been longer because I wanted to know how the man and the woman in the limo existed after they were dropped off on the island and how he explained a 1980's Navy uniform.

Mike

yes, the flight scenes where good, with actual footage, and to see F-14 s flying alongside old Japanese zeros was awesome.

yes it was a good flick -- thanks for the help now have to see if I can get it on DVD - like I need another for my Military collection

collectsmedals

I was stationed onboard Nimitz in 1980 when they filmed that movie. I got to meet Kirk Douglas, Katharine Ross and Charles Durning and watched them film several of the scenes. It was an interesting experience and broke up the normal ship board routine.

There were some good shots of the ship including both flight operations and interior scenes, and they used ships company as extras so I know several of the people standing around in the background in many of the shots.

(I was not in any of the scenes.)

Some of the scenes in the final movie didn't make any sense if you knew the real layout of the ship. For instance, the scene where the Marines are responding to the Japanese pilot holding a hostage in sickbay. Medical was right next to the Marine berthing area just one deck up on the 1st deck and the long passageway with the kneeknockers they ran down in the movie is way up on the 03 level. So to have done what they did they would have run out of their berthing area, up four decks, down the passage, back down four decks and into the compartment right next to where they started.

I love that movie. Before I swore off TV I would watch it every time it came on (normally around Dec. 7) and just couldn't leave until it was over. This was the era just before the Navy switched to lo viz haze gray markings on its aircraft, and the full color markings are just phenomenal! The Tomcats are VF-84 (the Jolly Rogers). The plot line is a little hokey, but what history nut hasn't wanted to go back and be there at a crucial time in the past. Kirk Douglas is the skipper Martin sheen is an industry rep, Charles Durning (actual WWII vet) is a senator.There are even a bunch of actual Sailors and Marines aboard the Nimitz who have speaking parts. I would recomend renting it since some stations chop it to bits. Break out the popcorn!

Tom Bowers

Way to go Tom, I swore off TV back in 1989 and have never regretted it... nothing but junk! I now rent what I want(mostly old war movies) and ignore the rest.

As for this movie, I'll be the first dissenter here, I thought it was kinda dumb... forgive me but, I like more realistic type shows, you know, like McHales Navy. :w00t:

Ya'll will love this...

The same plot has been taken and reversed in the anime "Zipang".

A Japanese Self Defense Force Aegis class cruiser somehow ends up back in the WWII years. The crew has to decide whether to stay hidden or become involved in the combat. Unfortunately they are bumped into making a decision when they are shadowed by a US submarine.

http://www.anime.com/Zipang/