Fake Engravings on Purple Hearts (and others) from Florida

JBFloyd

The large format machine engraving is not very well centered on the medal, that factor along with the non-blackened engraving, and the additional period would make me steer away from it.

I've always followed the advice Al Gleim gave me years ago, "If you have to explain it, don't buy it" a good medal

should stand on what it is, not the "story"

Bill

Thanks for the advice, But could it have been engraved post war by a member of the family at a jewelers?

Even if it was engraved by a jewler in 1947, 1967, or 2007 that will not matter, the point is is that it is not a recognized "official" engraving style and experienced collectors will steer clear of it.

Bill

Thanks for the advice, But could it have been engraved post war by a member of the family at a jewelers?

Yes. It could certainly be a private jewelry engraving to a WWII period Purple Heart. The medal as well as the case and ribbon bar appear to be of that vintage.

Sid,

I saw the corner of your WWII Memorial print out in your first photo. Is this your guy?

Maybe this is a re-issue to the family or a privately engraved piece for another family member??

post-78-1262112503.jpg

post-78-1262112474.jpg

Interesting that the ABMC response lists a Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster but not the Purple Heart.

Perhaps it is because of his missing in action status (per the ABMC document), which wouldn't have been "officially" resolved until a year later, if I understand correctly.

Not all WWII small and large machine engraved medals have darkened engraving, but I dont like the engraving on this one. Sice he was KIA in Dec 1944, I would not expect to see large machine engraving either.

Kurt

i don't like it !I think engraving seems recent and made to fake the buyer

think it official to a KIA .Sorry I would stay away from it ! seems someone is faking in the UK !this is third one i have seen out of the UK that was linked to KIA with this type engraving !!!!:thumbdown:

i don't like it !I think engraving seems recent and made to fake the buyer

think it official to a KIA .Sorry I would stay away from it ! seems someone is faking in the UK !this is third one i have seen out of the UK that was linked to KIA with this type engraving !!!!:thumbdown:

I'm going to agree here. One with a VERY similar engraving style appeared on Ebay UK a few months back and was clearly a dud.

Here is a pic and a link to my original post.

DUD PH

post-4976-1262131056.jpg

Robbo,

Thanks for posting this. I remember now when you did so previously. I remember how the last name extended out over the raised insert. Definitely appears to be the same engraving here. Also note the "dot" after the first name. And I sto\ill think the font is off a little. Now more sure than ever, avoid .......

I think the problem is that there are so many good and bad fakes around That it is hard to find a original WW2 Purple Heart. This one I have had checked by 3 different reputable dealers in the uk and they are sure that it is not a fake and offered me very good money. The bronze star has similar markings but no dots or the T

I have spent the last 25 years studying and documenting WWII US Army engraving styles and have seem hundreds of them. I wrote an article classifying them for the OMSA journal in 1995 . I am confident when I say that the engraving on that PH is not official WWII US Army engraving regardless of what the UK dealers say. You should post a pic of the Bronze Star engraving too.

The dot after the first name is a real clincher too.

Compare your medal to some of the ones on my friend Tom's website. You will see the difference.

http://www.purplehearts.net/

Here is what WWII large machine engraving should look like:

http://www.purplehearts.net/hoke/hoke02.jpg

http://www.purplehearts.net/beyer-ph.jpg

Kurt

Thanks for all your advice. The medals were not bought from a dealer, They were found in my grandmothers house a few years ago.she could not remember where they came from.

Thanks for all your advice. The medals were not bought from a dealer, They were found in my grandmothers house a few years ago.she could not remember where they came from.

Sid,

You must have invested a large amount of time with these medals but at least you haven't been hit in the pocket as you would have if you had got them from a dealer. The Bronze star could be legit and I'm sure the name would check out to an actual KIA.

Rob

Kurt is it possible that a family member had it engraved after the war or are you 100% sure this is a fake. I know the purple heart is a WWII and is not a later one.

Kurt is it possible that a family member had it engraved after the war or are you 100% sure this is a fake. I know the purple heart is a WWII and is not a later one.

I have never seen US Govt engraving, even from the Korean War and Vietnam that looked like the one you have with dots after the first name.

The Purple Heart is a WWII medal, but there are lots of them around without names on them and people buy them to have them engraved.

I cant say for sure that yours is " fake " made to deceive , all I can say is that the US Govt didnt engrave it. Someone after WWII had it engraved. There is no way to know who did it.

Kurt

could it be privately done sure but the fact that i have seen two or three engraved this way out of the UK with that . after name Would send a warning to me not to buy it and keep it in my collection ! It is not officially engraved as should a KIA heart

is .my gut is that it is a recent engraving made to fake out a buyer ! Just my opinion ! I am not an expert but i would not touch it ! as someone wlse said ealier in the post

the medal / engraving should stand on its own~! Guess we have to keep an eye out for more ! :think:

Thanks guys I am a little disappointed but I had no intention of selling it. I think the purple heart is a stunning medal, And I do have others but with no history. I have enjoyed doing the research on this man and have the greatest respect for all US forces that fought in WWII.

I wanted to post 2 photos of my uncle's Purple Hearts which were both engraved. One is high quality engraving from Navy, while I hate to say it, the other looks like the Marines hired a few apprecntices. Can I ask how you are able to upload these finely detailed photos without exceeding the 150KB file size? Or, am I limited because I am new to the board? ~Gary