Fake Engravings on Purple Hearts (and others) from Florida

JBFloyd

A series of Purple Hearts with bogus naming are appearing in Central Florida (especially in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area). This one purports to be to a nurse/POW, but others are also to interesting recipients. For example, a DSC/SS/BS/PH group to Maj Gen Maurice Rose (commanding general, 3rd Armored Division) with similar naming style.

This naming style is commonly used on the bogus pieces, so beware. Early indications are that as many as 300 pieces have been moved into the market.

post-293-1258901405.jpg

I've had two of this style offered to me in the past month. At first I figured them to be harmless items that were privately done by the families since the veterans named on the medals had recently passed. I declined on both. The style was identical to the one you picture.

Ruby Bradley does show up in NARA records as a 2nd Lt. and a POW.

The only people that are going to be taken in by these are the newbies. The engraving styles are a dead giveaway as is the brooch.

A series of Purple Hearts with bogus naming are appearing in Central Florida (especially in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area). This one purports to be to a nurse/POW, but others are also to interesting recipients. For example, a DSC/SS/BS/PH group to Maj Gen Maurice Rose (commanding general, 3rd Armored Division) with similar naming style.

This naming style is commonly used on the bogus pieces, so beware. Early indications are that as many as 300 pieces have been moved into the market.

Saw the Rose group at Rennigers this weekend, different guy then who was selling it in October at the Fantasy of Flight show.....nice engraving buy very very fake

Bill

Just curious, but why would a Purple Heart be engraved with POW information anyway?

Normally it wouldn't be. The faker(s) doesn't seem to be too skilled yet, so he isn't using the standard naming format, and he's using modern crimp brooches.

Very scary indeed. I simply don't know enough about medal engraving - so I'll always stay away from them.

I mentioned before, I am privileged to have numerous Bronze Stars and Purple Hearts from WWII Veterans - only one medal is engraved.

When I first started collecting, there was a militaria store in Cleveland that had an entire case full of engraved Purple Hearts. I wanted them, but didn't have enough money to buy them. Thank God because everyone had been maliciously engraved.

Unfortunately, I do have 2 'hump jobs are us' WWII Airborne jackets I did buy from them. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way! :thumbdown:

Rich

Now, if and when they start using WW2 hearts, it's going to get scary! Did these come out of the Webster flea market? If that had been the correct heart and 10 bucks, then the odds favor a privately engraved family piece. Or 10 bucks with this heart........ But the modern heart = red flag. And, I gather the seller was asking more than 10 bucks. Scary, I don't think I'm going to post anymore good hearts, all the fakers need is the correct naming pattern, and a little better/different hand engraving style, then is when things get really scary!

I have 3 privately engraved hearts, and none of them scares me. One is directly from the family, and has the copy of the discharge with it, and the other two came out of various flea markets at least 10 years ago. But, scary no matter how you slice it.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I know modern regulations state that only the recipient's name is to be on the back of all medals except the MOH. Has that reg changed any since WWII?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Webster today and talked with a vendor who had at least 10 named Purple Hearts, 2 named Air Medals, a DSC, a DSM, an ARCOM and a couple of others

Bill

Looks like the engraver does have some skill at hand engraving. At least for now they are using modern medals making it easy to spot. I doubt they will be able to replicate USN engraving.

Kurt

Normally it wouldn't be. The faker(s) doesn't seem to be too skilled yet, so he isn't using the standard naming format, and he's using modern crimp brooches.

Shhhh! :ermm:

Way wrong engraving, but they did a beautiful job of it. I'd like to get some engraving done like that...too bad that the person won't come forward...they could probably get some business!

I once knew a US vet that had lost a foreign award. I attempted to contact the maker of some truly exceptional fake awards as I wanted to get one with the serial number that he was awarded, but no luck. Why can't fakers at least be honorable enough to help out legit collectors???

Dave

A original WW2 Purple Heart should look something like this..

I'm certainly not an expert but the name on this Purple Heart does not appear to be official government engraving from the WWII period. It is similar to the large machine engraving but not blackened and the font appears to be a little off (wide). The "dot" after the first name is also odd. Then again I could be wrong. My thoughts only .......

Edit - Spelling

I think the problem is that there are so many good and bad fakes around That it is hard to find a original WW2 Purple Heart. This one I have had checked by 3 different reputable dealers in the uk and they are sure that it is not a fake and offered me very good money. The bronze star has similar markings but no dots or the T

I wasn't so sure on the engraving of this one either, it isn't a dead on match for the offical WWII engraving styles I'm familiar with. Perhaps a few others can weigh in... a post war replacment perhaps??

A original WW2 Purple Heart should look something like this..

I don't like the engraving for WWII.

Can we see better photos of the entire medal?

Thanks.