Soiled M43

Vix Steel

I have an M43 coat that is very stained and soiled, looks like heavy dried dirt...well I hope it is. Its to the point where I would not display or keep it unless I can get it somewhat clean.

Any ideas?

Thanx!

A stiff brass brush can work wonders on old military clothing and gear. I use those toothbrush-sized brash brushes available at hardware stores plus the soft brass lint brushes and have removed lots of soiling without have use cleaners or water.

If it is that kind of old hardened soil from wear, leave it alone. Any serious attempt at cleaning it will destroy the fabric and cause major damage to the dirty areas. The cuffs and collar will fray to the point the jacket will no longer be presentable.

Thanx guys, I will post a pic so you guys can agree either it needs a cleaning or to leave it alone. Sad thing is its a size 40R. I hope to post a pic soon!

Vix: You may already know this, but if you give it the Woolite treatment, either keep the spec tag dry or open the seam and remove it before immersion!!!!!! If it gets wet, the white finish on the tag melts and you are left with a piece of cheesecloth. I got an M43 years ago that was filthy, splatter-stained, etc., but with a mint spec tag. After a very bad experience with an unissued-but-dirty Reversible Overcoat at a supposedly expert dry-cleaning service, I removed the tag from the '43 and Woolited it. It is THE mintest '43 in the pile, and I have 4 of 'em. If you have a dry cleaner whom you trust, it spares the tag removal; but whatever you do, proceed with care. Hope this helps...

Hi and thanx.

Here is a pic and correction, its a 46R.

Sorry for the dark pic, kinda looks ok and better than I remembered.

Typical cuffs though...

post-2893-1263435946.jpg

46R!!??!!??

If the spec tag is already washed out (right lower pocket) , I'd Woolite that bad boy...:w00t:

Heh, ya the collar tab says 46R. I think the spec tag is there but is faded and crispy but has some readable info if I remember correctly...I would have to double check that fact though.

I will have to go to get some woolite on my next chance.

Heh, ya the collar tab says 46R. I think the spec tag is there but is faded and crispy but has some readable info if I remember correctly...I would have to double check that fact though.

I will have to go to get some woolite on my next chance.

I have a few items with spec tags that have been washed (not by me!!), but are still quite readable (holding a white index card behind them is a big help ;) ). If your tag is crispy, chances are good the Jacket has never been laundered- meaning that the Woolite treatment should yield pretty good results :). If it was mine, I'd do whatever is necessary to preserve that tag.

Go for it!! :thumbsup: