how do i store my collection

ColtM1911

I have a good sized collection of bayonets, canvas belts and pouches, leather and canvas scabbards and a few wool uniforms, all circa 1903 – 1918. How would I go about storing them so they do not get affected by the elements or moths? As of now they are all stored in a brand new trunks which I keep sealed, also they are all wrapped nicely in plastic bubble wrap or zipper clothing bags, or both. I am also putting moisture packs in the trunks to avoid rust on the metal objects. Is this sufficient, or is the moisture packs and the plastic not a good idea? Lastly and thanks for your patience do moths eat through canvas because I have some pretty rare canvas belts? (I live in Buffalo NY so it is also cold) Hope to hear your good ideas… Thanks.

just to add on, i have M1911 eagle snap pouchs, canvas web belts and plenty on ww1 first aid pouchs. I JUST read that storing these in plastic bags and plastic bubble wrap is not a good idea, so what would i do. I would prefer not to lie everything in a large pile in my trunk; so i would like to seperate them some how. How would you guys go about doing that, possibly by wraping each item in acid free paper and then placing then in the trunk. Whats your opinions on that idea, would it be safe for my collection. Thanks again!

Tom @ Snake River

Of course you are asking several differant questions that need to be addressed seperately.

I would say that plastic right next to an artifact is not good. You might cut up an old bed sheet and wrap and seperate items in cloth. The dehumifier packets are a good idea.

THANK YOU, and your right i did ramble on, but i do that a lot.

I bought some acid free tissue paper to wrap the items of my collection in, it will seperate them and keep moisture out, hopefully.

General Apathy

Hi Colt, couple of lessons I learnt the hard way.

I was moving house and when I took all the uniforms from the racks to pack into boxes I left all the wooden hangers in there for speed of packing and also with the aim that it would be quicker to re-hang at the next place.

Well time moved on and it was quite some time before I got round to finding the time to re-hang the uniforms. These older materials of natural fibres will absorb moisture from the atmosphere, what I hadn't given consideration to was the metal hook part of the wooden hangers. When I did start unpacking I was devasted to find that an unissued officers tan material raincoat was ruined by the metal hook rusting after coming into contact with the material. :crying:

My second observation regards using paper to wrap items in, I did this to prevent contact to contact of small items such as tins painted with instructions, or with paper labels to avoid movement damage as the packed cartons were transported. Again like natural material paper attracts moisture and holds it. :think:

The other great consideration is to store items in a constant temperature, avoid heat during the day from high temperatures and cooling at night when the sun has moved on, this causes humidity and beads of water on metalwork which runs off as rust into the materials alongside of the metal or part of the equipment, such as metal buckles attached to clothing and equipment.

The loft is a bad place to store boxed items, sometimes it is just better to have the items out on display with plenty of air circulation passing around them to prevent moisture and such. :thumbsup:

Hope this may be of use to you

Cheers Lewis