High-end Boy's Uniform--1st Cavalry!

siege1863

I have had this one for a few years but only recently "re-discovered" it while unpacking from my move. It is super quality and sold through one of the finer clothiers in Los Angeles. The material and craftsmanship place it up there with any "real" uniform. It appears it was sold without the 1st Cavalry patch and corporal stripes, allowing the boy to adorn it as he wanted. The stitching on the patch and stripes is crude compared to the rest of the uniform. I suspect the metal helmet, which belonged to the boy, was a separate purchase.

post-211-1263336116.jpg

post-211-1263336124.jpg

Thats a one of a kind.Really nice.Thanks for posting.Never seem to see the same kids uniform twice.

A guy I know has a KW Ranger uniform with jump boots for a boy.

RON

I saw a child's uniform similar in design to yours at a flea market for $20 once but didn't get it. It wasn't patched if I remember correctly. Funny how you don't see stuff like this modeled after any modern uniforms.

I saw a child's uniform similar in design to yours at a flea market for $20 once but didn't get it. It wasn't patched if I remember correctly. Funny how you don't see stuff like this modeled after any modern uniforms.

I have bought child sized uniforms for my daughter in: woodland pattern, DCU and ACU patterns, but I did buy them in the PX at Camp Atterbury. The latest ones I bought for her, I got "real" uniforms in small size. A couple of weeks ago I found two kids ACU sets in a thrift store.

I guess it depends on where you look.

That is a great uniform, is the patch a "real" one?

Thanks for showing this, I have several kids uniforms, really net subcollecting group.

BKW

Seige can you please post a picture of the underside of the helmet? I recently bought one that looks identical to what you posted, even the color seems to match, but the chinstrap is long gone and I don't know if there was ever anything inside of it. I'd like to restore it and would really appreciate knowing what the underside looked like. Thanks!

Sarah

Seige can you please post a picture of the underside of the helmet? I recently bought one that looks identical to what you posted, even the color seems to match, but the chinstrap is long gone and I don't know if there was ever anything inside of it. I'd like to restore it and would really appreciate knowing what the underside looked like. Thanks!

Sarah

The padding is missing from the inside of my helmet. However, I saved these photos of an identical helmet sold on ebay. The pad looks like some sort of felt and on top of it a paper disc. The disc had the names of various products (advertisement ?), which suggests the helmet was a premium or some sort of give-away.

post-211-1263615705.jpg

The strap on my helmet, which looks to be identical to the one seen on the helmet last posted, is not elastic. It more closely resembles a wide shoe lace. I have seen this type of "trim" sold in rolls at various craft stores. I will try to get you a close-up photo and a measurement of the width.

Strap measures 5/8" wide...

Also, the pad inside is not really a felt as I had first suggested. It looks more like the batting used in upholstery.

post-211-1263664752.jpg

Mike,

That is one awesome uniform - I wish I had had one when I was a boy, it would have been great for when we played WW II.

This came from an ebay store and I watched it for several months. As the sale expired and it was re-listed, the seller dropped the price. I finally made the move to buy it when it hit $75.00. Any cheaper, I felt someone else would snatch it up. Even at $75.00, I think it was a good deal.

Out of curiosity, could this uniform have come from a military school that someone later added the 1st Cav patch to? The reason I ask is that the children's uniforms I've seen have been close (as close as reasonable) to the real thing - both ones from WW1 and WW2. Having the cuff and trouser piping isn't close to anything that would have been seen on a real uniform, but is something that I have seen from military school uniforms. My thought is that this could be a military school uniform that someone later used as a costume...

Other thoughts?

Dave