M1923 Slings

Blair217

How many of you have one of these slings.I've been looking for one for my M1903 accessory collection but little realized they were as rare and valuable(?)as they seem to be until I bid on one on e-bay.Auction number 170428567157 M1923 Sling-mint condition sold for $330.99.LOL I was left in the dust,are they bringing that much on the collector market? :think:

There's another one up,mimium bid $100,Buy it Now $175.Seems prices are up from two years ago,mint M1 web slings are running more than $40 most places.Edit-The other sold in the last couple of hours for the Buy it Now price.

There's another one up,mimium bid $100,Buy it Now $175.Seems prices are up from two years ago,mint M1 web slings are running more than $40 most places.Edit-The other sold in the last couple of hours for the Buy it Now price.

I picked one up from Richard Willams last year for my 28 Thompson display. I think I paid around 125 for a mint one, but did not have much luck finding one for less at that time. I passed on a used one at a show for 85 and went back later, it was gone.

- Ron

I have one stone mint and dated, had it for years and still don't know how to use it. I used to see these cheap, did somebody find some good photos of these in service? Or a paratrooper with one? Interesting that they've gone up so much in a short time.

Tom Bowers

Johan Willaert
did somebody find some good photos of these in service?

Here's the picture from the Robert Todd Ross book mentioned above....

M1923-FSSF-TSMG.jpg

craig_pickrall
I have one stone mint and dated, had it for years and still don't know how to use it. I used to see these cheap, did somebody find some good photos of these in service? Or a paratrooper with one? Interesting that they've gone up so much in a short time.

Tom Bowers

Here is a diagram of how to assembly the sling. This is from a military manual but I don't remember which one now.

post-5-1263519701.jpg

Thank you Craig, When I got it the sling was "undone" and not on a rifle so I really didn't know how to assemble and install it. It does seem like photos of these in service are scarce. Mine has a 42 date so it was wartime production. Is there any information about who was supposed to use these? Or were they meant to replace the leather sling in service at that time? Great photo of the FSSF trooper using one on his TSMG, I'll have to try that on mine.

Tom Bowers

• 2 weeks later...

No one seems to have liked these slings as they were complicated and few men knew how to put them together. I bought one at Camp Perry in 1987, I think, and it's still around somewhere, marked SM 1942.