NEBRASKA HOME GUARD

36-tex

THE HOME GUARD WAS ONLY AROUND ABOUT 2 YEARS. IT WAS MADE UP OF MALES WHO WERE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR SERVICE IN WORLD WAR I. THEY WORE DOUGHBOY UNIFORMS, BUT HAD DIFFERENT BUTTONS ON THEM (DOMES BUTTONS WITH THE NE STATE SEAL AND MOTTO). THIS UNIFORM WAS FOUND WADDED UP IN A DISPLAY CASE AT A SMALL COUNTY MUSEUM. THE BLUE ARM-BAND IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT CUFF. IT IS FELT ON FELT.

post-98-1182180011.jpg

post-98-1182180020.jpg

Nice!

Home guard kits are like hen's teeth! This is a very neglected (and rare) aspect of WW1.

These home guard kits can still be found for relatively low prices, much lower than thier relative scarcity would suggest.

They may not be as sexy as WW1 Marine uniforms, but many of these home guard units were small, and only lasted a short time.

The crown jewel of Home Guard kits would probably be the Baltimore Committee of Public Safety uniform, complete with their unit marked Trapdoor Springfield!

Nice stuff!

Chris

Nice!

Home guard kits are like hen's teeth! This is a very neglected (and rare) aspect of WW1.

These home guard kits can still be found for relatively low prices, much lower than thier relative scarcity would suggest.

They may not be as sexy as WW1 Marine uniforms, but many of these home guard units were small, and only lasted a short time.

The crown jewel of Home Guard kits would probably be the Baltimore Committee of Public Safety uniform, complete with their unit marked Trapdoor Springfield!

Nice stuff!

Chris

Chris,

Do you have any photos of a uniform for the Baltimore Committee of Public Safety? Do you know if such a uniform had any CLOTH insignia on it? Collar? Shoulder? Cuff? If so, I would like to document any such insignia for the State Guard/State Defense Force book update.

Thanks for any assistance.

Steve Johnson

Patch Johnson

Steve,

I will have to ask Al Fraska. He let me know about them. I know the Trapdoors are out there (been looking for one for my collection) :rolleyes: I don't know what their uniform would have looked like.

Will see what I can come up with.

Chris

Chris,

Do you have any photos of a uniform for the Baltimore Committee of Public Safety? Do you know if such a uniform had any CLOTH insignia on it? Collar? Shoulder? Cuff? If so, I would like to document any such insignia for the State Guard/State Defense Force book update.

Thanks for any assistance.

Steve Johnson

Patch Johnson

• 2 years later...
THE HOME GUARD WAS ONLY AROUND ABOUT 2 YEARS. IT WAS MADE UP OF MALES WHO WERE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR SERVICE IN WORLD WAR I. THEY WORE DOUGHBOY UNIFORMS, BUT HAD DIFFERENT BUTTONS ON THEM (DOMES BUTTONS WITH THE NE STATE SEAL AND MOTTO). THIS UNIFORM WAS FOUND WADDED UP IN A DISPLAY CASE AT A SMALL COUNTY MUSEUM. THE BLUE ARM-BAND IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT CUFF. IT IS FELT ON FELT.
I have my Grandfathers Nebraska Home Guard Uniform,jacket, pants, one legging and a rifle cut out of wood with his initials carved in the wood. Can anyone tell me if the wood rifle was part of his original equpiment issued to him?

• 9 years later...

Figured I would just add to this thread if that's alright, vs. making another one.
I just picked up this Nebraska Home Guard Captain's uniform. Found it in a shop near Vancouver, British Columbia.
The uniform and buttons are both made by Pettibone Brothers of Cincinnati. I thought the NHG collar discs were interesting. They appear to be custom made.
Note the blue thread on the right cuff, where a blue NHG armband as seen previously may have went. The link below shows a couple more Nebraska Home Guard uniforms with the same armband.
I cannot find any name in this uniform, but needless to say it is a pretty neat piece, I was happy to find it.

Link to some other uniforms showing the blue armband:
https://nebraskahistory.pastperfectonline.com/bysearchterm?keyword=Nebraska+Home+Guard

This site has some more information on the NHG and officers in it as well:
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/military/ww1/index.htm

post-10495-0-23541300-1543393762_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-58431800-1543393769_thumb.jpg

post-10495-0-49372100-1543393780_thumb.jpg

Very cool pickup!! The collar brass was worn by enlisted men, but I have seen weird combinations in the past. There were not any official regulations on what the Home Guard wore so you can imagine the variety.

It makes you wonder how a uniform from Nebraska ended up in Vancouver, doesn't it?

Very nice find... thank you for sharing.