An Afternoon in the Woods with a Thompson SMG

hallo !I have smg M1928 A1 with No.A.O. 109 855. looking year of production for this modell?

AUTO-ORDONANCE CORPORATION BRIDGEPORT. CONNECTICUT

That is the question all Thompson owners would like answered. Thompson records showing year of production do not exist. All you can go by are production figures and guess.

With yours being an AOC manufactured Thompson it is safe to assume it was not built prior to August 1941 which is when their Bridgeport, CT facility started production. Prior to this Savage was the only company in production of the 1928A1 starting in April 1940. By the time AO got their Bridgeport facility online Savage had already produced 200,000 M1928A1s.

With a six digit serial number yours may have originally been fitted with the stamped L sight as these started in the AOC 80,000 serial number range.

The last M1928A1 manufactured by AOC was produced on 15 Oct 1942 with an estimated total production of 142,438 firearms. Although AO's name is on the Thompson, Savage produced the vast majority of Thompsons in WWII.

So with all that in mind we have your Thompson date narrowed down between August 41 and Oct 42. Narrowing down the date closer is only a guess.

Frank Iannamico dedicates an entire chapter on the numbers in his American Thunder II. This book recently went out of print so if you think you may want a copy I suggest you start looking for one now.

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

Looking for original photos and other items from the First World War US 77th Infantry Division.

Also interested in BAR and M1917A1 BMG related items.

abosuletly outstanding pictures , if they ( political crooks ) would allow me to own a chopper ( thompson ) in NY :crying:

Move!

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

Looking for original photos and other items from the First World War US 77th Infantry Division.

Also interested in BAR and M1917A1 BMG related items.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the pleasure of firing one of these a couple of time full auto and yes what a blast they are - use to have a semi auto version but not the same -- full auto will always put a smile on your face when fired in a friendly environment

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd throw this in for a laugh. That's me Quang Tri Provence sometime in '69. Not looking very non-combative. No I never shot it - the owner, a crusty Sgt if I remember correctly, blasted a tree once while we were out in the bush, to relieve pent-up aggression. I've always liked the Thompson - you have a doosey!

Doc

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gif

TSMGs have always been a soft spot for me. Unfortunately, here in The People's Republik of Kalifornia full auto TSMGs are verbotten as well as unregistered semi auto versions.

My father a WWII USMC vet carried one for a while..he liked it but did say it was too heavy and he needed a pack mule to bring along enough ammo to keep him in the Japanese homicide business.

There was a gunsmith in Fullerton who, for a hefty price, would modify the semi auto version to look like a 1928A1 including the detachable buttstock and replacing the too soft internal parts which had damaged the guns initial reputation. When 1st produced the semi autos had original Cutts compensators and Lyman leaf sights, as I remember.

My own experience with them is limited. I owned a semi auto when they 1st came out in the mid 70s. I liked mine and it digested FMJ and semi wadcutters equally well. At the time I picked up a couple of original unused Type L 50 round Drums as well as a slew of 20 and 30 round mags and the corresponding USMC mag pouches and both the drum pouches with and without the shoulder strap. Got rid of the gun but still have the mags and pouches. Kinda wish I had it back now as it was a low numbered gun in the 800s.

As a brand new copper in the early 70s, I fired our department's TSMG at the academy range one Sunday on my own time and at my own expense. I had to beg the range sergeant, kiss his behind and polish his shoes to get him to give me the opportunity. As I remember they were 1928s of some kind issued during WWII. I must have shot $100 of ammo but it sure was fun!

I think they demilled the gun and now it rests in our museum...what a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

What beautiful pieces of equipment. I hope before I die to move to a state the allows full auto ownership. I am now a resident of NY where they register everything including slingshots! (just kidding).

NY - the vampire state - they suck the life out of you and the money out of your wallet !

• 3 years later...

Dueling Thompsons. Me shooting a 1928 overstamp Colt Thompson and the other is my 1977 WH 1928.

Everyone should have a Thompson. There is no excuse.
Example= new pickup truck-$50,000.00+
Thompson smg-$20,000+
Just settle for an older used pickup truck and get a Thompson.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/overspray/norskeMGshoot102509009.mp4]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/overspray/th_norskeMGshoot102509009.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.