prc77 operator

msgt norway

did those today,had to be inside since i have snow

and nothing green outside... :lol:

DSCN2296.jpg

DSCN2298.jpg

DSCN2299.jpg

(hawkdriver:love the flack vest :thumbsup: )

cheers ken

Guys, as I recall we had PRC-25 radios up until about 1974. (Could be wrong on the year.) Then we got the PRC-77's. They looked the same, worked the same, had same accessories and batteries. I believe the internals were different. In fact MSGT Norway, check the antenna data plate, it should say PRC-25. SKIP

In MACV province teams (not even Tactical Dets), we had about half 77s as of Summer 1970. I would thuink USARV combat units had them a bit -- maybe a full year -- before that.

The internals conferred a SECURE comms capability (in theory), hwence the 77s had to be protected and destroyed if likely to fall into enemy hands.

NOTE: As depicted your RTO is sniper bait. The radio needs to be put inside a rucksack and the big binoc case worn in the small of the back, below or under the ruck....maybe with a folded poncho draped over it Heck, even the pistol without a rifle (or GL) makes you eligible for early unwanted attention....

Guys, as I recall we had PRC-25 radios up until about 1974. (Could be wrong on the year.) Then we got the PRC-77's. They looked the same, worked the same, had same accessories and batteries. I believe the internals were different. In fact MSGT Norway, check the antenna data plate, it should say PRC-25. SKIP

The Data plate should read: Radio Receiver/Transmitter RT-505/PRC-25

The Data Plate for the -77: Radio Receiver Transmitter RT-841/PRC-77

Ran a commo shop for A CO 1/61 Inf, 5th ID from Sept 89 till Aug 91 so I became very well aquainted with these radios. The early -505s did have tubes I believe, replaced in the -841 by solid state electronics. I believe as time went on, the later 505s were retrofitted with newer electronics until completely replaced with RT 841s. When I ran the commo shop we had one case marked RT-505 and the rest were RT-841s. The cases were identical and the internals were identical. The only difference was the dataplate identifying it as an RT-505.

Wayne

my radio missing the data plate,so i gues i can name it

any.

i godt the radio from israel so it was already missing the plate.

cheers ken.