BAR used in Armored Infantry units?

Jeeper704

While doing some research on Armored Infantry Battalions and the use of BARs, I wondered if it was common to see BAR gunners in these units?

According to several sites dealing with this matter, there were no BARs assigned to these battalions.

But in several accounts, like the one below, BAR gunners are being mentioned;

The next morning tank-infantry teams were formed and the 68th entered Rittershoffen. Lt. Gosselin, platoon leader, 3rd platoon C-68, told PFC Harry Kemp he needed more fire power in the platoon. He gave Harry a Browning Automatic Rifle and appointed two men in the platoon to be Harry's ammunition bearers.

14th Armored Division

Any information on how many and when BARs were assigned to Armored Infantry units is therefore welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Erwin

...Any information on how many and when BARs were assigned to Armored Infantry units...

Both Browning Automatic Rifles and Automatic Riflemen (MOS 746) were officially AWOL from the AIB TO&E: 7_27_15Sep43.pdf.pdf Perhaps the logic behind this omission was that the relative abundance of machine guns and other automatic weapons in the AIB (as compared with the ordinary infantry battalion) obviated the need for the BAR as a squad-level automatic weapon. As a former Infantryman, this rationale strikes me as a dubious proposition. In any case, Infantrymen are a resourceful breed and, TO&E 7-27 notwithstanding, AIB Infantrymen evidently found ways to acquire BARs in the field, as well as other needed equipment.

Again, you're the person who saves the day. :)

Thank you for the information.

I was curious on it because of a future display project of mine.

I want this to be historically correct.

So I can equip an Armored Infantryman with a BAR (time period: around March 1945)?

This lack of BARs in AIBs surprised me a bit though since they increased the firepower of a unit.

And since a BAR is lighter than a .30 Cal MG and "easier" to carry.

My friend was a BAR gunner in the 26th ID and he liked it a lot (used it a lot too).

Erwin

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Erwin just look at that famous picture of the 20th Armoured attached TD M36 moving through Munich in 1945 with the BAR across the driver and co driver glacis armour.....obviously the co driver wanted to do some "shootin" aswell...

Regards

LLoyd