1942 coca cola

Fixbayonets!

For others who are looking for such an item, keep an eye out around the holiday times. Some years Coke has put out "nostalgia" bottles of a similar nature.

One looks at this one and can only wonder where it has been for the last 68 years! Neat item.

General Apathy
Sitting on the field desk is a full and unopened 1942 bottle of coca cola.

Rob

Hi Rob, that's a good one dated 1942, set up in a nice display with the field desk and the cigarettes and book matches. :thumbsup: Have you shaken it and set it down to see if there's still some fizz in there.

Maybe two weeks back I posted my 1944 dated one with a 1944 dated Coca Cola check in the home front items, along with a few other items.

Cheers Lewis

Fixbayonets!
Hi Rob, that's a good one dated 1942, set up in a nice display with the field desk and the cigarettes and book matches. :thumbsup: Have you shaken it and set it down to see if there's still some fizz in there.

Maybe two weeks back I posted my 1944 dated one with a 1944 dated Coca Cola check in the home front items, along with a few other items.

Cheers Lewis

Hi Ken,

Yes, amazingly it still has some fizz when shaken. I just went back and found the 1944 bottle you posted, very nice!

Rob

Fixbayonets!
I wonder if tastes like the todays Coke - would you try? :pinch:

Wonderful piece! :thumbsup:

I must admit I have wondered if it tastes the same but I think I can live without finding out. :lol:

By the way, here is a photo of some guys off loading some cases of coke from a truck. I would love to have one of those cases!

Rob

post-168-1263067791.jpg

I can't tell from the picture, is it a clear military bottle or the standard green bottle with the bottling plant marked on the bottom?

Fixbayonets!
I can't tell from the picture, is it a clear military bottle or the standard green bottle with the bottling plant marked on the bottom?

It's the standard green bottle.

I have one clear and one green that came from the rubbish dump at Honiara, Guadalcanal. Not full of course! I did how ever manage to find an original bottle cap too

I used to find the clear wwII dated bottles at nearby Ft. Stevens and surrounding area. There used to be piles of them in the woods, but they are getting harder to find. Are these things worth anything? I used to bring them to the museum, but they didn't want them. I guess because there being so many of them. Anyone collect the empties?

Very cool. Could you take a shot of your desk? I love these displays.

Thanks!!

Hi Jim,

Here are some shots of my field desk. This is the way I always have it set up, I just used the desk as a setting for the Coke bottle post so it's not shown in these photos.

Rob

post-168-1263251113.jpg

How are you dating the Coke bottle? I have an old one here, (no fizz but full). Cap reads "COKE", bottom of bottle reads WILLMINGTON DEL (I can figure that one out ;) )

I used to find the clear wwII dated bottles at nearby Ft. Stevens and surrounding area. There used to be piles of them in the woods, but they are getting harder to find. Are these things worth anything? I used to bring them to the museum, but they didn't want them. I guess because there being so many of them. Anyone collect the empties?

I am sure they are worth something, how much I really don't know. If you can pick them up for free in the woods, why not?

Rob

How are you dating the Coke bottle? I have an old one here, (no fizz but full). Cap reads "COKE", bottom of bottle reads WILLMINGTON DEL (I can figure that one out ;) )

My bottle is marked with the lot number, glass makers logo and year (42), down toward the base of the bottle. Here is a photo showing the date.

Rob

post-168-1263296551.jpg

• 1 year later...
Fixbayonets!

I came across this in a photo album I recently bought. This photo was taken at Fort Bragg with the 9th Signal Company of the 9th Infantry Division in the Fall of 1941.

Rob

post-168-1306597539.jpg

ww2reproductions
I have one clear and one green that came from the rubbish dump at Honiara, Guadalcanal. Not full of course! I did how ever manage to find an original bottle cap too

I was there with Mr-X and I have one as well...also empty ;)

They were still using 1960 fanta bottles as well on Guadalcanal

We were there a few weeks before the civil war started...now the aussie peace keepers get a medal for going there.

And there is no truth in the rumor that we started it. :w00t:

Leo