Wounded Warriors Project

35th USAAD

Hello Everyone

Is the Wounded Warriors Project a good honest Organization? Just checking to see before I give them some of my hard earned money. Thanks to all & have a great new year. Louis

wounded.jpg

The WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT is a nonprofit organization.

From their website:

Their objective is "to provide tangible support for the severely wounded and help them on the road to healing, both physically and mentally."

Their mission is to honor and empower wounded warriors.

PURPOSE

* To raise awareness and enlist the public’s aid for the needs of severely injured service men and women,

* To help severely injured service members aid and assist each other, and

* To provide unique, direct programs and services to meet the needs of severely injured service members.

shrapneldude

The Wounded Warrior Program is great. Of all the non-profit charity type groups, this one works very closely with the services to help wounded troops and their families. In short...they actually DO what they SAY. They helped make sure we had all kinds of extra stuff...care packages from strangers, cards, etc. They help the guys from moment of injury and don't stop. I've donated back to them.

A lot of the local chapters are headed up by wounded vets, tons of resources...if a guy needs a wheelchair ramp on his house or a new set of crutches or something, they get it to him quick. I can't think of a better organization to donate to except the families of the fallen maybe.

Just to show how these guys go the extra mile and keep everyone on their radar...this was a Christmas gift they sent me:

post-1424-1263058118.jpg

There are a number of websites that feature ratings of charities.

This is from the Better Business Bureau:

http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/nationa...onville-fl-3806

According to the pie chart at the bottom of this report, Wounded Warriors Project spends 75% of its raised funds on Programs, 21% on Fundraising, and 4% on Administrative costs.

The percentage for fund raising seems to be a bit high but you have to take this with a grain of salt. Smaller or more narrowly focused charities often have to spend more of their budget to get the word out than larger ones, like the American Red Cross (which spends 4% on Fund Raising).

One thing to watch is the amount spent on Administrative costs. This includes the salaries of the permanent employees. In this case 4% seems very reasonable.

(American Red Cross: 6% for administration.)

There are charities that do very good work, but have a high amount of costs tied up in administration. This how you have to judge how the money you donated is being spent.

The firing range I belong to raffles off rifles with all proceeds going to these guys. The last two rifles were a Thompson .45 cal and Durganov sniper rifle. $5.

And that is one SWEET ornament!!!!

Highly recommend them! SSgt Jeremiah Workman (USMC, Navy Cross) works with them I believe. Never heard a bad thing about them.

• 9 years later...

I am glad to hear that the Wounded Warriors are still going strong. I was a little concerned, upon hearing (from national media) that most of your dollar went towards administrative costs than to the Vets. They have been on my list, and will remain on it. Along with other worth while ones.

Lifer

As of 2017, the stats for this organization have risen for Programs and lowered for Fundraising with Administrative expenses remaining the same:

Programs: 77% Fundraising: 19% Administrative: 4%

This remains a worthy charitable organization.

• 7 months later...
wartimecollectables.com

It is an honor to run a marathon or race in a triathlon with these heroes! And it is very humbling to be PASSED by a wounded warrior! Reminds me not to take things for granted. The Wounded Warrior Project makes it possible for these men and  women to compete.

Perhaps Wounded Warriors has gotten their stuff together.  I quit supporting them at least a decade ago after evidence surfaced of very little money actually going to activities, extremely high salaries for high ranking employees,  allegations of financial mismanagement, etc.  The charity watch dog groups used to give them horrible ratings.

I have been actively DIScouraging people from supporting them.  I shall have to look into them further

I would recommend that anyone considering donating to a charity compare them with other organizations providing similar services.  

A simple web search will help you find services that compare non-profits, etc, based on 990s filed with the IRS.

First result I got was Charity Navigator.  What I look at, as others have mentioned above, is the percent of an organization’s expenses that are actually spent on the programs and services it delivers, and fundraising efficiency.