Vietnam Filthy Five Flying Death Patch

all-bull

Hey guys,

I would like to get a positive ID on this. I have heard it was for a Marine Helicopter unit, and also for a HAL 3 Seawolves Navy Helicopter Unit. Can anyone provide a picture of this being worn or some hard evidence to prove it 100% one way or the other? Thanks a whole lot in advance!

post-2063-1263040543.jpg

vintageproductions

Hunter-This is a patch that has been around for years and years as a unidentified USMC unit patch. Within th last few years it has been positively identified as Detachment 5 HALTRON-3. I believe in Scott Kraska's & Steve Kirby's new book they show photos of it being worn.

In our book "River Patrol Insignia of the U.S. Navy (Vietnam)" we show Door gunner Michael Connolly's OG-107 with a tiny "filthy five" patch on the shoulder. Connolly designed the patch for the U.S. Navy helicopter unit HAL-3 detachment 5. All the original patches were locally made and hand embroidered. Original patches are extremely rare since DET 5 was a small unit. Yours appears to be an in-country reproduction.

Steve

• 1 year later...
Airborne-Hunter
In our book "River Patrol Insignia of the U.S. Navy (Vietnam)" we show Door gunner Michael Connolly's OG-107 with a tiny "filthy five" patch on the shoulder. Connolly designed the patch for the U.S. Navy helicopter unit HAL-3 detachment 5. All the original patches were locally made and hand embroidered. Original patches are extremely rare since DET 5 was a small unit. Yours appears to be an in-country reproduction.

Steve

I recently ran across one of these patches and was wondering; when you say in country reproduction, do you mean period made for collectors, but not team worn, like the infamous cheap charlies and a lot of the RT patches? Or is it a later reproduction altogher? :think: Thanks ABN

River Patrol

These are in-country made reproductions.

When they were made, is another story.

Evidence is out there that these were made during the war, but I'm not convinced. It is more likely that these were made after the unit left the country.

Dam you Luong Phan for making these exactly as designed by the desiger!!!!!!!!

But I guess that you had a order and just made it by machine because it was faster and the crew member wanted it quickly.

I am glad that you made patches for the troops, for if you did not....... we would not be commenting on them today.

CHEAP CHARLIE, I mean MR LUONG PHAN you DA the MAN!!!!

Hunter I like the patch. I have one with a tab at the top. Will send when I find scan.

River Patrol

I think Bob showed us some evidence, some dated documents that place this patch in production mid 70s, which is fine, but you have to consider when the unit left.

Also, no HAL3 vets have ever come forward with this type of patch.

vintageproductions
I think Bob showed us some evidence, some dated documents that place this patch in production mid 70s, which is fine, but you have to consider when the unit left.

Also, no HAL3 vets have ever come forward with this type of patch.

Early 70's.