Navy Top query

zouave114

It looks like the label says it was made by a shop in Brooklyn, so this was not an issue piece and that probably explains the embroidered name: I think the tailor shop did that, not some shop in Asia. Because of the discharge badge on the jumper we know that this was only worn through basically the end of WWII. Now it is true that later on the tailor shops in Asian ports did a good business putting dragons and embroidered names on sailor's jumpers, but I honestly doubt there was much if any of that being done right at the end of the war. Now if this was an issue jumper and if had the dragon cuffs I might think it was done in Asia, but, again, being a New York tailor-made jumper with just the name leads be to believe it was all done at the tailor shop.

Now I do think that tailor-made sailor jumpers from WWII are cool items and this one is even named, so for that price I don't think you can go wrong clicking the BUY IT NOW button as long it's something for your collection and not something you hope to turn around and resell for a quick profit.

I think the guy is streaching it a bit. Just because there is embrodiery does not mean he saw service in the Orient. It is a private purchase uniform that is why it is not the real heavy issue material as shown by the tailor tag. 2nd class Gunners mate WWII uniforn.

Grizzly Adams

Zouave114. I saw on another thread where you are putting together a WWII Navy impression. If this jumper is going to be used for that, make sure it will match your pants! This is a nice tailor made piece, but it is made from gabardine and not issue wool. Just a thought. :)

bleujacket34
What do you make of this anyone? I may bid on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...sid=p2759.l1259

Jeff

Jeff,

This is a great jumper! I have always loved the tailor made jumpers with embroidery. There can be quite a range of embroidery in Navy Jumpers and Navy frocks/Jumpers have a long history of embroidery on them. But like grizzly said this would not match issue items. Unless you are trying to find a jumper for something very soon what I would suggest is watching ebay for awhile. Especially if you are looking to wear a jumper similar to what your father had. There is always a high turn around of Navy Jumpers and may find something that fits better to your needs. No need to rush unless you really need to.

Andrew

Hi Grizz,

Appreciate your guidance, and yeah, the post WW2 jumper I have now definitely has a different "look" in color from the separate pants I got. As you advised, no rush, I just need them before the June Reading Airshow. Just saw this: What does the patch mean?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Jeff

Jeff,

What you have with that listing is a post WW2 Dress Jumper. You can tell that by the tag and the rate. For WW2 it would be one that would just say Naval Clothing Factory and a space for name and rate. When I get a chance I will try and post a picture of one. What you have there for a rate is a seaman 1st class rating with a patch showing he is a Aviation Electronics Technician. That type of seaman's patch did not exist till after WW2. You have plenty of time than to get exactly what you want.

Andrew

Hi Grizz,

Appreciate your guidance, and yeah, the post WW2 jumper I have now definitely has a different "look" in color from the separate pants I got. As you advised, no rush, I just need them before the June Reading Airshow. Just saw this: What does the patch mean?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Jeff

Jeff, While you can find WW2 uniforms in your size, they are rare and hard to find. Then they have those annoying patches on them and some folks geet squeamish about removing the original patches. You would be better off to look at the post war sections of e-bay for what you are looking for. The uniforms made from 1950 until 1973 look pretty much the same. There are detail differances, like the pockets in the trousers are completely different, but the jumper covers them either way. Other than tags and interior variations, it is difficult to see the differance. The uniforms made before '73 were the same material. After that date, they were a serge wool and actually black. Uniforms made up to '73 were made of the same fabric as your flat hat.

Steve Hesson

Having worn the exact patch at one time I can vouch for what jeb137 said. I'm sorry but it is not a seaman first class. At the time this patch was used there were no stripes for the E-1's, only a rating badge if the Seman recruit, airman recruits, or fireman recruits were striking for a rate. E-2's had two stripes. Fireman apprentices were red, Airman apprentices were green and Seaman apprentices were black. The next rank achieved would be Seaman, Airman, and Fireman. After that you would finally get your Crow and be a Petty Officer third class. Constructionman or Seabees followed the same system with light blue stripes. Now all this goes out the window on their whites. Everybody was black with only th rating badge used to distinguish your rate. This was at least in affect in 1980. I'm not sure when it was adapted by the DON.

Having worn the exact patch at one time I can vouch for what jeb137 said. I'm sorry but it is not a seaman first class. At the time this patch was used there were no stripes for the E-1's, only a rating badge if the Seman recruit, airman recruits, or fireman recruits were striking for a rate. E-2's had two stripes. Fireman apprentices were red, Airman apprentices were green and Seaman apprentices were black. The next rank achieved would be Seaman, Airman, and Fireman. After that you would finally get your Crow and be a Petty Officer third class. Constructionman or Seabees followed the same system with light blue stripes. Now all this goes out the window on their whites. Everybody was black with only th rating badge used to distinguish your rate. This was at least in affect in 1980. I'm not sure when it was adapted by the DON.

The system you are refering to has been more or less in effect since 1949. Remember, E-3 and below did wear the same color stripes on their whites as they did on their blues, the PO crows went to all blue (black). There was a short time (I think '70 to '75 where there was a single stripe E-1, I still have a blue and white AR stripe that I wore on my uniforms)

Steve Hesson

Hi Steve, and I agree, I would lean toward keeping historic items intact especially for respect. I wish WW2 clothing had more repro sources.

Here's something neat listed, love the Asian service dragons. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Jeff

Jeff, That is a WW2 manufacture jumper (the Honorable discharge patch dates it to WW2). The "Liberty Cuffs" put it to '45-46. Notice the tag under the collar. That is the WW2 tag. Look for that wen your looking at jumpers.

As for repros, yeah, only one sorce of WW2 Navy repros and those have "issues". I want to put together a WW2 Chief Signalman impression, I wore a size 50 coat when I was on active duty, try finding an original that size :unsure:

Steve Hesson