My SAC command patches

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Here is my small collection of SAC command patches. Does anyone know what period the patchs without the SAC scroll was used?

Robert

Pic 1

post-6492-1262896586.jpg

The scroll-less SAC patch is old and although I know some that will insist it is a 43rd Bombardment Wing "thing", I have seen a picture of a member of the 4081st Strategic Wing wearing one. I'll try to jog the old memory and get a link to that. He is one of my two SAC patches:

post-1443-1262897171.jpg

www.saceliteguard.com in the galleries section, early 60's, Drill team 3, there is a group of photos on the same line as the SAC Drill Team patch that show's members in a judo (?) competition with the scroll-less SAC patch, and not members of the 43rd BW.

And the SAC Drill team

I attended USAF ROTC summer camp at Dow AFB, ME in 1964. It was home to the 379th BW/596 BS. I purchased one of the SAC patches without a scroll at the PX while I was there. Other than that, I can't add anything else to the question about when and who.

Patch Johnson

Here's one that's a little different. German hand made, 9 inches from top to bottom. Still in original wrapper, from about 1956. Too big for the scanner!

Randy

post-8832-1262978925.jpg

Skybird This The SAC Command Post With A Test Of The Primary Alerting System.

I thought I'd add a little color to some great patches. Funny thing it never failed that the PAS would go off when I was trying to eat.

Here's what I have in my collection. Still trying to figure out the SACPAC patch. I like the leather and desert patches. They couldn't of been in use long before SAC was sacked.

-Ski

post-3043-1262982763.jpg

Here's what I have in my collection. Still trying to figure out the SACPAC patch. I like the leather and desert patches. They couldn't of been in use long before SAC was sacked.

-Ski

Ski-

SAC PAC was used (unofficial of course) at Kadena. There was a heavy SAC presence there, with the Tankers, Strat Recon and such. You can see the PACAF emblem in the SAC fist. The patch is Okinawan made. I have a Strategic Airlift Command patch in my traders much like this. It's 50% SAC and 50% MAC, also Okie made.

Randy

post-8832-1262991627.jpg

Ski-

SAC PAC was used (unofficial of course) at Kadena. There was a heavy SAC presence there, with the Tankers, Strat Recon and such. You can see the PACAF emblem in the SAC fist. The patch is Okinawan made. I have a Strategic Airlift Command patch in my traders much like this. It's 50% SAC and 50% MAC, also Okie made.

Randy

Thanks for the info Randy!

-Ski

• 1 month later...

some great images.I am really getting an interest in SAC as my tours on bases RAF greenham common and Brize norton got me interested. they were, at one time SAC units.

Interesting to see all of those variations. I have one that is unusual, made after SAC was history. It is about 1 inch tall, I heard it was made to wear in the velcro covered backing of the ACC patch (so, no one would see it but....SAC would stay closest to your heart) Cool, The ones I still have left of these are on my USAF list that I am busily trying to finish and get out on the street. In any of you are interested in having a copy mailed to you and you do not currently get my USAF list, then please send me your info.....Name, Mailing address, City, State, Zip and also what else you collect, like Navy, Marine, Coast Guard patches, Army Pocket Patches, Flashes and Ovals, ??? Anyway, let me know at my email address....

[email protected]. It is free.....

TEXCEN

Emil-----

Ski-

Randy

Strategic Airlift Command was around in the late 1970's when I arrived for duty back at the 55th at Offutt (Sep 1978) 55th SRW / DO 23 was the "Command Support Airlift" function for HQ SAC we operated several C/VC-135 aircraft for Joint SAC/MAC Airlift Requirements (SAC Taskings almost always took priority) These aircraft were mostly MAC assigned with several Demodified RC-135A (from MAC) & RC135D's (From SAC) assigned for short term used while awaiting input to Boeing for Tanker Plumbing & Boom that was not installed when the aircraft were built. Assigned aircraft included 55-3119, 60-357, 63-8058, 60-8060, 60-5061, 60-376 (a former Vomet Comet), 60-378, 62-4129, & 62-4130. (129 & 130 arrived with VC designations including the 89th VIP Paint until President Carter forced all VC-135's repainted and "V" removed from the designation's. The 55th installed B-707 interiors & seats from aircraft at DM. Our mission was to provided "Large TRAVEL TEAM" airlift (ORI, IG, MSET teams scheduled by SAC, with MAC taskings secondary and to back up the 89th with world wide "SAM" Missions. These were flown by SAC Crews, Maintained by SAC, Funded by MAC. There was one exception to this mission KC-135A (Later "E") 57-2589 (Casey 01 was not assigned to 55th SRW/DO/DO23 but the 55th SRW/DO/HQ SAC - Command Crew. While looking at our Airlift Mission, we also maintained the largest T-39 Saberliner Detachments in MAC at the time Opertated by MAC's Det 1 1401st MAS from Scott AFB and maintained by the 55th SRW we had 12 T-39's assigned to our Det. The 1401st Squadron at Scott and the other 3 Det's totaled on 14 Aircraft.

Terry L Horstead

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...