What am I missing here?

US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum

This pouch is NOT unit marked, although it does have a soldier's serial number (K7451)

and is made by a common manufacturer (Long 1918) but, ... TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard. This isn't a pair of

smart guys bidding against each other; it's four of 'em!

I've bookmarked the auction because I have a morbid curiosity to know how this train

wreck is going to end.

post-1529-1262881470.jpg

I think this is just a spike, or a rare instance where a bunch of people want it bad.

I paid about $25 for mine (minty) in the mid-90's, but that was then....These actually have gone up a good bit, but $200 is a little proud IMO. They must want it pretty bad.

I guess it is what the eBay market will allow for a WWI item. I agree with everyone else I see them at gun shows for less then that, but these guys are going after it! :pinch:

I used to work at a gun store in AZ. A lot of "Snow birds" in that community, (For our friends overseas, that is retired folks who live up North in the summer months, and travel south for the winter months) and it always amazed me when they would come in and look at our surplus M-1 Garands, Carbines, and 1911's.

The comments were always:

"Well in my day you could get a 1911 for $25.00, what do you mean that one is $1000?"
(Normally a nice Remington Rand, or Ithaca)

"A M-1 carbine for $600 dollars.......you could buy them at Sears for $15.00 dollars....."

And, my favorite, and always commented on was when I would park my '44 Willys out front with a dummy 1919A4 up on it:

"You know son, you used to be able to buy those in the crate for $50.00!" "How much did you put in it for restoration?"

I always laughed at that one.

Then one day a very nice older gentlemen from Canada came in with a IN THE BOX NEVER BEEN FIRED O3-A4 "SNIPER" IN THE BOX. He said his son didn't want it because the front sight post was knocked off it....... :o

He had bought it back in the '50's when he was a salesmen in California. It came with the sling, in wrap, and the Lyman scope in a beautiful case. He paid...............$85.00 for it and still had the hand written receipt for it in the box.

Well I couldn't resist since the normal crowd of old guys buying plinking ammo were in the shop I said rather loudly:

"Well I will give you $85.00 bucks for it....that's what you paid in 1950 whatever........"

He just looked at me and the other retired guys looked at me.......but, I said I was kidding and asked what he wanted out of it and he said around $1000 + a new shotgun for his RV. We paid him every bit of $1500 CASH for it (Since it had the scope and original sling and all... :rolleyes: ) And the owner gave him a brand new Remington Home defense shotgun free.

The old guys in the shop learned their lesson that day, as our newly found Canadian friend walked out with $1500 bucks in his pocket and a new shotgun under his arm.

So if the market will bare $200 for an old .45 ammo pouch, then the guy who got it at a swap meet 5 years ago for .25 cents is dancing on his key board.

Like someone of the forum said before Christmas, DCU's and the like are going for cheap now.......but 15 years from now what will the same DCU badged up or not go for?

r - Gunny Dan

Keep in mind that the US Dollar is very weak now and to someone in another country this is not as high as it appears to us. When you are thinking in Euros and bidding in Dollars you can bid more. I was in the UK a while back and went into a McDonald's and got what would have been a $5.00 combo meal here and paid 5 Pounds for it, which at the time was $7.50 so some one from the UK coming here would think our prices are a bargain. The same apply to militaria plus what is common here is usually harder to find in other countries so they will pay more. Although if these bidder are in the US than they are just crazy.

Wow! I wonder how much I could get from those guys for my unit marked pouch. I bought it from Rich Williams (War Relics) for $35 about 5 years ago.

Back

post-70-1262978380.jpg

Sgt Saunders
Wow! I wonder how much I could get from those guys for my unit marked pouch. I bought it from Rich Williams (War Relics) for $35 about 5 years ago.

Back

post-70-1262978380.jpg

Well you paid $35.00 for it 5 years ago............ :lol:

I've seen them go for $100.00 on line but never that much.

I'll check what GWM gets for one. There prices are up there.

No offence given.

Sweeeeeet set up by the way.

Sgt Saunders

I checked, they have them $70.00-90.00. So that is kind of stiff, but I'm with you US Victory.

Change the prescription or cut the dosage in half. :blink:

I bought six of them starting in 2004 and I've always paid no more than 40$. Now I have only the best three, just one for each holster (1909,M2,M4).

post-67-1263065961.jpg

I bought six of them starting in 2004 and I've always paid no more than 40$. Now I have only the best three, just one for each holster (1909,M2,M4).

I noticed you have one that's a little longer than the other two. I checked mine after reading the post and found I have one of each. I never really compaired them before. This is what I love about this sight. It allways makes me think and I learn something new every time I'm on it.

I noticed you have one that's a little longer than the other two. I checked mine after reading the post and found I have one of each. I never really compaired them before. This is what I love about this sight. It allways makes me think and I learn something new every time I'm on it.

I dont see it longer than other two, only positioned lower. Anyway web stuff often has casual shrinking.

LOL, that reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. :lol:

Too bad I cannot watch american TV. To be true I dont watch not even italian TV, too much s..t.

Too bad I cannot watch american TV. To be true I dont watch not even italian TV, too much s..t.

You probably would not understand American humor, anyway. You get the Berlusconi comedy hour. :lol:

You probably would not understand American humor, anyway. You get the Berlusconi comedy hour. :lol:

That's not a comedy but a tragedy. Hope he'll found his place in the jail. Al Capone was a boy scout in comparison.