Anyone have pictures of Paratroopers or Rangers with M1918 Mk1 Trench Knives?

shocktrooper15

It is interesting how it was connected (glued?). Today it would not be a problem with so many synthetic resin-based adhesives on the market, but then? Maybe airborne divisions had access to maintenance materials for the CG-4A gliders? If so, then Plaskon would be ideal for gluing CS-35-A and metal scabbard. The USA was a pioneer of synthetic resins and Plaskon was the first such a resin glue applied for gliders.

I would think that the wire prongs on the reverse of the metal scabbard were placed through the canvas base material and then fixed or flattened in place securing the scabbard to the canvas.

RD

shocktrooper15
Shocktrooper15,

The pictures are out of different books so I will list them in the order that I posted the pictures.

1. Father and Son-- U.S. Airborne Forces Europe 1942-45 by Brian Davis, published 1974.

2. Rifle grenades--Drop Zone Normandy by Napier Crookenden, published 1976.

3. Demolition--Paratrooper! by Gerald M. Devlin, published 1979.

4. Mortar bipod--US Airborne in Action by Leroy Thompson, published 1992

5. 505th items--Airborne Album, Volume one:Parachute Test Platoon to Normandy by John C. Andrews, published 1982.

Paratrooper and Drop Zone Normandy are hard cover, the others are the soft books that run about 50 pages.

Hope this helps.

Plankowner

Plankowner,

It is a huge help. Thanks again!

Also, what are those pouches in the demolition load picture next to the pistol pouch and behind the pistol holster with knife? It looks like there are some in the rifle grenade picture too. Are they some sort of rigger pouches?

Shocktrooper15,

I checked the book where the picture was and it says that number 9 is, "Ammo pouch for sub-machine gun. This pouch contains 250 bullets." I would think that they were rigger made. They are very unusual to say the least. Somebody on this board must have an answer! I will be looking for these pouches in pictures. Wish I could be of more help.

Plankowner

• 3 months later...

Post #41: These photos -- demolition and mortar layout -- are from the 503rd PIR, in Australia. The rigger-made pouches with white parachute harness reinforcement were commonly found in only the 503rd PIR (and maybe in the later RCT). They have been reproduced, but being of very narrow application, not many customers bought them.

The Errol Flynn movie "Objective: Burma!" had a military tech advisor who had served with the 503rd, and similar pouches show up in the movie.

• 1 month later...

awesome pics, im a WWII reenactor and i wanted to know how to connect the metal scabbard to my cartridge belt. its belt my holster belt i actually want it behind the belt itself so its no in the way of the clip pouch. any ideas?

Saskatoon Light Infantry
Hey does anyone have pictures of Paratroopers or Rangers with M1918 Trench Knives? I need them for my research.

Thanks

post-8484-1276993781.jpg

Saskatoon Light Infantry
Hey does anyone have pictures of Paratroopers or Rangers with M1918 Trench Knives? I need them for my research.

Thanks

post-8484-1276994220.jpg

shocktrooper15

Outstanding photos! I already have the first one you posted and details about it. (His name is Otis L. Sampson, 505th PIR, Sicily)

Would you happen to have details about the trooper in the second photo?

Thanks!

awesome pics, im a WWII reenactor and i wanted to know how to connect the metal scabbard to my cartridge belt. its belt my holster belt i actually want it behind the belt itself so its no in the way of the clip pouch. any ideas?

If you still have the metal scabbard with the prongs, this is the way it was officially intended to be carried. I would think it would be very uncomfortable, one of the reasons that one side of the guard was often ground off.

Lfcbelt.jpg

If you still have the metal scabbard with the prongs, this is the way it was officially intended to be carried. I would think it would be very uncomfortable, one of the reasons that one side of the guard was often ground off.

Lfcbelt.jpg

awesome, thx!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
More outstanding photos! :thumbsup:

I had the trench knife attached in this way and it proved it's biggest design flaw with it's original scabbard: Top heavy and unbalanced, Hit the dirt and you may lose the knife. I got an M6 scabbard that was originally issued for the M3 knife and it keeps the trench knife pretty secure. I don't doubt it was done in the field since GIs rigged things with "acquired gear" and made things as functional as possible, especially after seeing photo of the knife in the wire-cutter pouch! I liked that!

On that topic, A lot of reenactors waste serious time and money trying to get the textbook look of a freshly-outfitted G.I. If D-Day is what you're going for, you'd probably be on the money. But if you took a stroll near the French coast on June 10th you'd find ditched assault vests, haversacks, gas masks, grenade pouches, suspenders, mess kits, bayonets and some cut-off E-tool handles. Functionality and traveling light was the key and "living out of your pockets" was the way to go. Many wore their HBTs over the wool uniform and with a tightened cartridge belt, filled their HBT shirt with their gear and packed their shirt and hip pockets with the smaller items and tucked their raincoat behind the cartridge belt.

post-22170-1342277512.jpg

I had the trench knife attached in this way and it proved it's biggest design flaw with it's original scabbard: Top heavy and unbalanced, Hit the dirt and you may lose the knife. I got an M6 scabbard that was originally issued for the M3 knife and it keeps the trench knife pretty secure. I don't doubt it was done in the field since GIs rigged things with "acquired gear" and made things as functional as possible, especially after seeing photo of the knife in the wire-cutter pouch! I liked that!

On that topic, A lot of reenactors waste serious time and money trying to get the textbook look of a freshly-outfitted G.I. If D-Day is what you're going for, you'd probably be on the money. But if you took a stroll near the French coast on June 10th you'd find ditched assault vests, haversacks, gas masks, grenade pouches, suspenders, mess kits, bayonets and some cut-off E-tool handles. Functionality and traveling light was the key and "living out of your pockets" was the way to go. Many wore their HBTs over the wool uniform and with a tightened cartridge belt, filled their HBT shirt with their gear and packed their shirt and hip pockets with the smaller items and tucked their raincoat behind the cartridge belt.

This looks like a welded full-knuckle guard on a bayonet Taken at Ft. Benning, 1942; More proof of alterations done by individual soldiers.

post-22170-1342277934.jpg

A Cup-a-Joe and a Shank. Corcoran jump-boots but I dont think this is an airborne uniform, knee and elbow patches not present. Regular infantryman obtained some goodies?

post-22170-1342278390.jpg

A Cup-a-Joe and a Shank. Corcoran jump-boots but I dont think this is an airborne uniform, knee and elbow patches not present. Regular infantryman obtained some goodies?

Its an airborne jumpsuit , you can see the double snaps at the wrist.

• 1 year later...

I stumbled upon this post today in my research of WWII paratroopers carrying 1918 Mk 1 trench knife.. Here is a photo of 101st Airborne guys in Normandy ("The Filthy Thirteen" Jack Womer is sitting with his back to the building), and in the foreground the guy standing and facing the camera is carrying a brass knuckles 1918 Mk1 knife.

http://thecasemateblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/original-photo-of-farm-house.jpg

I stumbled upon this post today in my research of WWII paratroopers carrying 1918 Mk 1 trench knife.. Here is a photo of 101st Airborne guys in Normandy ("The Filthy Thirteen" Jack Womer is sitting with his back to the building), and in the foreground the guy standing and facing the camera is carrying a brass knuckles 1918 Mk1 knife.

http://thecasemateblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/original-photo-of-farm-house.jpg

Cool picture, but it's not a M1918 MkI it appears to be something privately purchased or possibly theater made.

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-19422700-1387166141.jpg

Johan Willaert

Definitely a Jump uniform...

The 82AB's jump suits were not reinforced in the same style for the Sicily and/or Italian campaign as they were for Normandy, so no common knee or elbow patches...

The large cargo pocket on the thigh seems to have had some reinforcing stitching applied though...

The double snaps on the wrist are a sign of the jump jacket...

Found this in a book called "Meet The Parachute" By The Reliance Mfg. Co. Copyright 1944. They made parachutes during WW2. Note the Mark 1 attached to the 16" M1 bayonet.

post-33759-0-20558200-1387253777.jpg

For your research the OP should look at Mr De Trez's airborne books as another resource. There are numerous pictures of M18 knives pictured with various modifications, etc. In operation Dragoon (First Airborne Task Force) and follow on operations in the south it appears that standards were set aside and almost anything was allowed.

• 4 years later...
shocktrooper15

Back from a long hiatus, found another picture for the thread. 504th in Sicily, looks like that same photo studio so many of these pictures have come from.

post-9086-0-43891200-1526526160.jpg